Why become a member? ×

Doing a Royal blood in a techno stylee

operative451

Hi!
So there i was, watching Hot Chip at the Brixton Academy, and jolly good they were too, when i wondered just how much of that type of noise i could make by myselft with all of my pedals and other stuff, like what that Royal Blood bloke does. Only not rock.

So far i've stuck the drum machine into the bass synth wah which makes a satisfyingly acid house 'Wiggy wiggy pew peow' sort of noise, my zoom has its arpegiator so i'll try the bass into that and then into the BSW. I'm kind of wanting to do as much as possible just coming out of the bass but i've also thought of getting some sort of kiddie casio keyboard like i had when i was a kiddie, and bunging that into the mix.

Anyone tried similar? I know i could use a DAW on a laptop, but that's the no fun option...

Not yet, but often considered it.

I've got things that arpeggiate: Sonuus Wahoo, Moog T3, Death By Audio Robot, and a looper. And too many fuzz and bit-crusher pedals, and a Boss LS-2 and an amp for "bass" and an amp for "distorted". Also there's a Stylophone itching to get in on the action as well.

What annoys me about the RB bloke is that he has to try to be bassist and guitarist at the same time. Just make your sound and get on with it, if you need a guitarist then get one.

I can do 'RAWK' - that's easy, at least as my idea of rawk involves pretending to be the jesus and mary chain, so you 'just' split the signal and go fuzz-wah-distortion-amp and let it feed back! :D

This attempt is more 'dirty techno'.. Prototype 'rig' below although actually it will probably be all moved to a bigger pedalboard. The bass synth wah and the zoom are in the effects loop of the mixer with everything stuck through the mixer. The drums go 'wiggy wiggy squelch' in a satisfyingly 303 ish way, and playing the bass in makes the synth do some interesting harmonics - the zoom is for delays, pitch shift, arpeggiator, that sort of thing.

I tried recording it on my phone but the mic couldn't cope! :D

[attachment=203966:12119054_772773632850897_8348037716409622312_n.jpg]

Additonally: Re knobs: Yeah, that's a reason why i'm heading back to digital! I could do with digital presets and analogue sounds...!

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1446209358' post='2897732']
There is an art to getting a good sound out of the Bass Synth Wah. I found the best I got out of it was the clunk it made as I threw it in the cupboard. :D
[/quote]

I'll have it then. if it's no good I'll sell it back to you :)

Edited by toneknob

The BSW does make some totally unusable noises! If you want to be bootsy collins or do 'uptown funk' its great. Its also quite good for being the Human League but the knobs are very sensitive (arf) and its easy to from 'cool sound' to '70s Dr who monster' and then not be able to get back again. I got it cheap and wanted something that would split my signal and have an octaver on it.

The floor pedals are Joyo - 'Voodoo Fuzz', Fuzz with octave up, tremelo, and 'California sound' aka a copy of the sansamp California. And a behringer 'vintage phaser'.

I've been sort of obsessed with trying to sound like this since about 1993:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_uOANgo4M[/media]

I've found some blurb about how they recorded - One sound is apparently a guitar stuck in a moog! THey also claim to be just using guitars and bass and drums, no keyboards, in which case i'd like to know what the 'dugga dugga dugga bow!' sound is at the beginning!

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1446212765' post='2897783']
The BSW does make some totally unusable noises! If you want to be bootsy collins or do 'uptown funk' its great. Its also quite good for being the Human League but the knobs are very sensitive (arf) and its easy to from 'cool sound' to '70s Dr who monster' and then not be able to get back again. I got it cheap and wanted something that would split my signal and have an octaver on it.

The floor pedals are Joyo - 'Voodoo Fuzz', Fuzz with octave up, tremelo, and 'California sound' aka a copy of the sansamp California. And a behringer 'vintage phaser'.
[/quote]

Thanks! I don't think I've got any pedals that don't make unusable noises come to think of it. Agree having a built-in splitter is very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is now just me talking to myself... :D The Hotblood-Royalchip pedalboard is probably (minus more fiddling) a go. BSW into cheap Nux delay/looper into zoom 505 for nasty digital low definition flanging, phasing and octaves and suchlike. Clean out from the BSW into Joyo California and Tremolo. All into little mixer and out to amp! Drum machine goes into an EQ pedal then the mixer too for added thud.

Loopers are harder to use than KT Tunstall makes it look!

[attachment=204867:IMG_20151111_205944.jpg]

Edited by operative451

Curve were one of my favourite groups since I first heard them (which was the radio sessions). I always wanted to be in a group that could do that sort of thing, but never met anyone else that wanted to do that sort of thing, and it was a bit trickier on my own!

- Edit -

the sound at the beginning is just what you said, it is a guitar (or bass) going into a moog, running a high pass filter with a very high resonance going up.

Edited by Woodinblack

• 4 weeks later...

Thats pretty cool and close to what you were aiming for I think. certainly strong on the filters. Now I am wondering if I can somehow put the bass through the filters on my blofeld.

Does remind me that once we were doing a muse song, in my group.. Oh yes, plug in baby, and I normally put a bit of a filter on it, but this one night we had gone into it when I wasn't expecting it as the guitarist changed what we were doing, so I switched to my patch for it on the Zoom B3, but I had been fiddling around with it and put the A filter and Z filter and bitcrusher on, all set to major settings. It wasn't what any of us were expecting, but you know, once you have started...