Why become a member? ×

Advice on strings required ASAP

liffordmark

Hi all
My 4 string which is an Xotic -xjp-1t-4-string-bass-yellow-blonde-chuck-rainey-custom-bass and I've had it around 6 months and have been using Elixir long life round wound strings which I think for this bass is too toppy and I get a lot of frett noise and clicking of the fretts which is very annoying to the extent I find myself trying to change my playing technique to account for this, just too sharp and I've adjusted action and changed EQ numerous times.

Any suggestions string wise that are not as bright and keep in mind I'm not really into flat wound strings at all.

Much appreciated.

Without actually hearing what you're hearing it's hard to know where the unwanted noise is coming from; assuming you know what you're doing regarding setting up a bass and it isn't fret buzz and also that you're being sensible with the EQ then it might be you have steel round wound strings on the bass which usually do start out bright - however after 6 months use I'd have expected these to have mellowed somewhat and lost their initial brightness. Having said all that, and if you don't want flats and the Elixirs [i]are[/i] indeed steel then I'd suggest you try some nickel round wounds which usually have a warmer tone and will probably feel smoother for fingerstyle.

Yes, nickels are a lot warmer sounding and not as "clicky" on the frets. That said if you prefer steel rounds, Rotosounds, after an initial bedding in period, lose their twnginess quite quickly and become a nice warm sounding string. Does take a couple of weeks for that initial zing to go though.

I'd go Newtone Platinums. Nice sharp tone but not too zingey out the pack.
The advantage there is that the tail off from when the strings go off is not so
dramatic.

6 months is throwing me a bit tho...as I can't see a Round string lasting that long.

It sounds to me...from this distance...that there is a LOT of presense in the equation..
I find I can't even begin to use the presense on my East pre's..and this from someone who
likes it a bit lively...plus I'll back the tweeter off to 50% open max...

My strings, for my tastes, last 6 weeks max...before I clean them and this is another plus
with Newtone...they'll clean up 3 or so times..which was what the old DR's used to be capable off.

Edited by JTUK

I've been on a bit of a string mission recently, looking for that string that's not too bright and clingy, not too mellow, not too rough, not too smooth, I'm currently using GHS pressure wound which fit my needs pretty well at the moment! I'd like to try the Ken smith compressors too, but they are like the proverbial rocking horse poo in the UK!

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1446239028' post='2898103']
DR Sunbeams, very warm, quickly lose their top end, but still have a lively beefy character.
[/quote]

This.

Or, I just got a set of the DR Pure Blues and they have a colossal thump to them. A tiny bit zingy at the mo as I just put them on about 12 hours ago, but I'm confident they will go the way of the Sunbeams and the zing will be gone in ten days or so. But the sound off these bad boys is massive. Massive, I tell you!