Why become a member? ×

Help Finalising My First Pedal Board?

Samfordia

I have been building up my gear for quite some time now. Guitar wise I have all I need and I'm almost there in finishing my first board.

Currently I have the following:

- Korg Pitchblack Tuner
- Darkglass Microtubes B7K
- Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B
- EHX The Clone Theory
- Boss Octave OC-2
- Boss Digital Delay DD-6
- EHX Freeze
- EHX Ravish Sitar

I expect to also get a compressor pedal. Empress or Darkglass are topping the list at the moment.

For power I shall be using GigRig and letting them know exactly what I intend to use so they can properly lay out exactly what I need. Before I do that though I need to know for sure what I want on my board. Is there anything that I am maybe missing? Anything that I could maybe replace for something better or more suitable? The music will be psychedelic krautrock with a side project of dark old school horror soundtrack stuff.

As far as pedal boards go I have absolutely no idea which way to go. I would most like something that isn't huge but would it be best to go for something that's a little bigger than I need in case I wish to add more? It would also need to be able to fit in a bag that can be thrown over my shoulder and carried as I tend to walk and use public transport to get around.

Please feel free to offer any kind of advice on this. I am always open to any kind of suggestions and don't be shy in using layman's terms.

Edited by Samfordia

I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on the gigrig power, this like might help work things out: http://www.thegigrig.co.uk/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1620745

As far as getting more pedals, I would just let GAS sort that one out... Maybe look for a reverb if your looking for ideas. The best thing to do would just be to play about with what you have. Maybe get a multi FX, like a zoom ms60bb, so you can try a load of things out with what you have and see how they fit.

Also, bitcrushers are fun.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1445795746' post='2894280']
If you're after horror textures, the reverse reverb on Digitech pedals on full wet mix produces a really interesting spooky tone. The Hardwire sounds best but the X series does it very well too and can be had for fairly cheap.
[/quote]

Would this be it? https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/reverb-delay/digitech-hardwire-supernatural-ambient-reverb?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-7GxBRCL_Kq6mZSHvdsBEiQA7r8VhGdrhng4NA_wjiSlJs9QYtybcgpQNkFIvQr_Ghdf55oaAlil8P8HAQ

Edited by Samfordia

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1445803280' post='2894388']
Would this be it? [url="https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/reverb-delay/digitech-hardwire-supernatural-ambient-reverb?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-7GxBRCL_Kq6mZSHvdsBEiQA7r8VhGdrhng4NA_wjiSlJs9QYtybcgpQNkFIvQr_Ghdf55oaAlil8P8HAQ"]https://www.bax-shop...f55oaAlil8P8HAQ[/url]
[/quote]

I was thinking of the red RV-7 as I haven't tried the one you linked. Looks nice though.

Guitar demo here but I managed to get it sounding pretty nasty on bass too.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Q_sO-3LNQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Q_sO-3LNQ[/url]

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1445845592' post='2894567']
One you can fit all your stuff on, obviously taking power supply, connection leads and input/output locations into consideration . What leads you using?
[/quote]

Knowing which one I can fit all my stuff on is the problem really. I kinda know that I need to buy one that can hold everything. I have no idea on leads at all.

The needed space on pedal boards (referred to sometimes as 'real estate') is dictated by the size of your pedals and the subsequent leads and power supply arrangements need to complete the signal chain from your bass to amp. You can do the math for your pedal footprint requirements, based on what you've listed itll come up big. Based on this id say: A) target a sound. Leave effects out unless you need them 100% - theres rarely occasions where its easy or practical to budget for 'nice to haves' in a board as the financial, physical and transport logistics increase with the size. B) Or, prepare to spend or go the DIY route. Theres a range of products about but it you're wanting all those pedals, id put some effort in to makeing your own board to begin with. This can be done with a Gorm shelf from Ikea and theres YouTube demos available - a decent effort relies on planning, time and not expecting a shelf to magically become the most comprehensive pedal board without considerable tweaking. Believe me, even if this doesnt go to plan the practical lessons learnt with help inform your live setup in the future.

I take it you've used all these pedals in conjunction before and you know how you're ordering them, connecting them and powering them?

My pedal board is much more modest than yours will be in terms of number of pedals. However, it was really helpful to plan out the detailed layout in advance. I had decided I was going to go for a Pedaltrain board and TRex power supply so I looked at the sizes available and laid out the pedals on the carpet including dummy wiring. That gave me a couple of different options on dimensions and layouts which I photographed on my iPad. It gave me the change to properly think through the ergonomics before I pulled the trigger on the board and ordered the patch cables.

If you're trying to figure out what kind of sized board you need my best advice would be to layout all your pedals and wire them all up in the order you will run things and measure how much room they will take up. that should give you a rough guide.

Edited by Callumjord

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1446034106' post='2896318']
My pedal board is much more modest than yours will be in terms of number of pedals. However, it was really helpful to plan out the detailed layout in advance. I had decided I was going to go for a Pedaltrain board and TRex power supply so I looked at the sizes available and laid out the pedals on the carpet including dummy wiring. That gave me a couple of different options on dimensions and layouts which I photographed on my iPad. It gave me the change to properly think through the ergonomics before I pulled the trigger on the board and ordered the patch cables.
[/quote]

Maybe I should have read this comment before posting! Haha