Why become a member? ×

Homemade Speaker Cab Covers

bigevilman

Hey Guys

Slowing down my gigging now, and I've just downgraded from a MB 104HF to the Club 151. Seeing as its in pristine condition, I'd like to keep it that way (for as long as possible anyways!)

I'm looking at making my own cab cover as I'm a bit broke at moment and dont want to be paying 50 quid on something I can make!

Anyone got any advice on how to go about it?

Measure the sides of your cab, add 4 cm to each measurement, take your mums best quilted curtains, cut out the 5 panels you need, stitch together 2 cm in from the edge, turn inside out, job done.

Measure twice, cut once.

Return the curtain spares to the pole.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1445436567' post='2891474']
If you have the original box, just turn it upside down and use a roll of gaffa tape on it to reinforce it, cut a hole in the top/sides for the handle.
[/quote]

I did this with some PA cabs lasted years...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1445436567' post='2891474']
If you have the original box, just turn it upside down and use a roll of gaffa tape on it to reinforce it, cut a hole in the top/sides for the handle.
[/quote]

Could do that if the packaging wasnt made up of about 10 different boxes....or in the bin.....

Used to work with a PA guy who made covers for his bass bins out of carpet, pile on the inside, with the corners/edges stapled. Lasted for the three years we worked with him and did an excellent job of protecting the cabs from the inevitable road rash

Wickes do a very thin black honeycomb sheet. It naturally bends around the corners of the cab and is robust enough not to bend the other way. I cut it to size then made some lids using the same sheets bent the opposite way. Wrapped the corners with gaffa tape and total cost for 2 bass cabs and 2 pa cabs was £15

Reading this comments i think i went overboard with my Promethean covers.

I bought some kind of leather/vinil from a car fabric seller and some sponge from a local fabric store. Glued it on the back of the vinil, cutted to shape and sewed it all together.

Materials:

Vinil:

Foam:

End result:

It's a bit of work but it was cheap and these covers have been here for a few years and still going strong. The cab in the picture is the extention cab of the Promethean combo and it was sold to a basschatter a few months ago, he can vouch for it, i guess.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1445596993' post='2892649'] Reading this comments i think i went overboard with my Promethean covers. I bought some kind of leather/vinil from a car fabric seller and some sponge from a local fabric store. Glued it on the back of the vinil, cutted to shape and sewed it all together. Materials: Vinil: Foam: End result: It's a bit of work but it was cheap and these covers have been here for a few years and still going strong. The cab in the picture is the extention cab of the Promethean combo and it was sold to a basschatter a few months ago, he can vouch for it, i guess. [/quote]

Great idea. I might have to do something similar.

Edited by ltownbass