Why become a member? ×

Small all valve combo?

Thunderpaws

I don't have any problem with hybrid amps, if they had sold it as a hybrid I would have still brought one. What I do have a problem with is being lied to.

Why do I get the feeling that we're not going to get a further response from Mr Ashdown.

Anyway we've gone slightly off topic here....

Edited by SingleMalt

[quote name='SingleMalt' timestamp='1445678076' post='2893269']
I don't have any problem with hybrid amps, if they had sold it as a hybrid I would have still brought one. What I do have a problem with is being lied to.

Why do I get the feeling that we're not going to get a further response from Mr Ashdown.

Anyway we've gone slightly off topic here....
[/quote]

I'd be the same - I couldn't care less what's going on inside as long as an amp sounds the part! It could have been a unique selling point, but apparently telling porkies is better advertising...

Edited by Bigwan

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1447262004' post='2906255']
Having done a bit more basic research on this, it looks like the CTM 15 does have a single 12ax7 as a preamp. Then two valves for the power section.
[/quote]

Did you read the rest of the thread, or look at the pics linked? It DOES NOT have a valve preamp. It has a valve power section and a valve phase inverter. From the pictures there are [i]clearly[/i] multiple opamps and (shock horror) transistors in the preamp (2 opamps and 4 transistors from a cursory glance)...

Edited by Bigwan

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1445350234' post='2890785']
Seems a bit harsh? Whilst we can't be all things to all people you've tried a representative product from every range we make and didn't like any of it? We make/have made a lot of different stuff from £60-£3500...
[/quote]

Have you stopped doing the CTM30? I can't find them anywhere but they are still on your website. :)

Is the ashdown drop head the same as the little bastard they had out previously?

I was really excited about the little bastard when I first heard about it and thought it would be excellent for recording. I was however hugely disappointed when I eventually got to try one out. The sound just lacked something compared to my ad200b and jcm 800 super bass. The build quality felt a little under par also. Ive never been into ashdown stuff generally but I expected this to be a step up. Alas it was not.