Why become a member? ×

How big a difference is it from TP to XL?

Stan_da_man

The Transporter cabs are lighter, have lower spec (but not vastly) cones, the cab build is not so 'heavy duty' and the XL's wipe the floor in terms of tone and volume in comparison to the transporter and VX range.

If I had to chose a cab from the XL range, it would without a doubt be the 4.5XL. An awesome (but slightly heavy) cab. The 410XL is slightly less deep sounding, but I think have a bit more low mid punch. If you aren't too bothered about depth of tone and want to save your back, then go for a transporter cab.
If however it is just your back you are concerned about.. then there are a good few NEO solutions out there that I would suggest over the transporter and VX range.

I had a link somewhere (will have to have a bit of a search) for an online shop that were doing the 4.5XL for next to no money.

the same can be said for the 210 and 2.5XL in terms of tone, as my description between the 410 and 4,5XL.

There's a 410XL in the 'for sale' forum. A bargain to be had.

I'm not replacing my 410TP though.
I played through a 410TP and a 410XL when I was buying my cab and I could hardly tell the difference. Yet, people keep banging on about how great the tone from the XL is compared to the TP... :)
I'll have to go and play through a 210TP and 210XL to see if I can spot the difference and if the XL's worth the higher price tag. I'm not getting a .5 XL since they cost waaay too much for me.

A fair comment stan. I actually agree, if you cant tell the difference, then it'd be pointless buying anything if you didnt need it. I heard a big difference when I bought both my 4.5XLs. I was very lucky to have a whole range of cabs to try, including the transporter range and that of other manufacturers, such as Ashdown, Ampeg, SWR and Trace Elliot.

At the time, I was young and had some disposable cash to buy what sounded the best to me, so the opportunity to go to an outlet with such a wide range of gear and crank it nice and loud wasnt to be missed! yippeeee!! Talk about kid in a sweet shop!

I haven't really searched hard but here's a price for the 4.5 [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/categories~name~Bass-Cabs~ID~62.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/categories~nam...-Cabs~ID~62.asp[/url]
and one for the 2.5 [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Hartke-2.5-XL~ID~6280.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~H...-XL~ID~6280.asp[/url]
I think you may find cheaper out there too.

oh.. sorry that I was talking about the 4.5XL, but i have more experience with the .5 range 'on the road' so thought it was worth mentioning.

I'm currently using a 2.5XL. I've tried the TP410, 410XL & 4.5XL. Sound wise, there isn't a huge difference between the XL & the TP. But the ".5" range are a different class altogether! Deeper lows, higher highs, more defined mids. The cabinets for them are a fair bit bigger, and therefore tuned differently. Not the lightest cabs in the world though (I see moving them part of my work-out :) ) Price wise, If you look at Thomann, there is a £30 difference between the 410XL & 4.5XL. (Thats 12 pints down the pub! How much is your sound worth?)

I used to run a pair of Transporter 15s and then changed to the and XL 15 paired with an XL 410. I thought the transporters were excellent but the XLs were far better (either as a stack or individually) to my ears, however I found them a pain in the ass to lg around, especially when you have to get them up a few flights of stairs as I sometimes have to. That, for me, is what made me let them go, just too damned heavy.

If every gig was a straightforward load in I'd go with the XLs, but think the transporters do a fine job and come with the added benefit of beings substantially more portable and therefore preferrable. Dood is right though, they have epic tone.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='31515' date='Jul 13 2007, 07:34 PM']Have you considered Behringer? I gather they'll do trade-ins on slightly used Kettle Chips, one careful owner. Might even get some cash back too.

Alex[/quote]
I own a BX4500H. Good price for something that sounds fantastic. I don't care what name it says, has long as I get a sound I like. Or are you another one of those people who like to bash Bezza for no good reason and join in with everyone else?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='31525' date='Jul 13 2007, 07:53 PM']Or are you another one of those people who like to bash Bezza for no good reason and join in with everyone else?[/quote]

No good reason? Only their complete lack of morals in stealing numerous companies' intellectual property and getting away with it because the cost of litigation is too high for most.

I don't doubt that a lot of their gear sounds good and works well because it's been designed by some very reputable companies - assuming you get something that hasn't been made with compromised components or build quality then you're onto a winner as you don't have to foot the R&D bill as whoever buys Sansamp or Boss or QSC or Mackie etc does.

Utterly parasitic business practice.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='31544' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:26 PM']No good reason? Only their complete lack of morals in stealing numerous companies' intellectual property and getting away with it because the cost of litigation is too high for most.

I don't doubt that a lot of their gear sounds good and works well because it's been designed by some very reputable companies - assuming you get something that hasn't been made with compromised components or build quality then you're onto a winner as you don't have to foot the R&D bill as whoever buys Sansamp or Boss or QSC or Mackie etc does.

Alex[/quote]
But good sounds for a good price. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='31544' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:26 PM']No good reason? Only their complete lack of morals in stealing numerous companies' intellectual property and getting away with it because the cost of litigation is too high for most.

Alex[/quote]

Well to be honest its a business practice everyone uses from cars to basses, I own a bit of rack gear and some mixers from Behringer and get a bit fed up with Behringer bashing its all been said before and no one wins. Read this thread:

[url="http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.audio.pro.live-sound/browse_thread/thread/ffef3acd4dbee279/724816fce5d59415?q=qsc+v+behringer&lnk=ol&hl=en&"]http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.audio...&hl=en&[/url]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUGLUJF7y4"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUGLUJF7y4[/url]

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='31612' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:08 PM']Well to be honest its a business practice everyone uses from cars to basses...[/quote]

Show me a car that is completely reverse engineered and I'll listen. Every time this topic comes up someone chimes in about there being tons of Fender copies out there - and every time I find myself thinking that they just don't get it. Maybe it's a lot easier to understand if you have a design/engineering background?

If we don't say anything then every manufacturer that spends money on R&D for new gear for us loses, whilst Behringer wins. My saying this won't put Behringer out of business but it might help another musician choose some used gear from a reputable maker over some new Behringer gear, even if it does make current Behringer owners feel a little uncomfortable.

Alex

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='31612' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:08 PM']Well to be honest its a business practice everyone uses from cars to basses,[/quote]

many companies have products "influenced" by previous or opposing products but behringer where supposedly completely nicking designs and technology

[quote name='alexclaber' post='31559' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:51 PM']Indeed, like these: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2707"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2707[/url]

Alex[/quote]
Well it was his own fault...and no insurance. And what if people can't afford all that expensive gear? Many people will play a lot of amps round that price range and might decide for the price that Bezza sounds the best. Or do they have to save up more and buy something expensive to make you feel better?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='31883' date='Jul 14 2007, 07:18 PM']Well it was his own fault...[/quote]

So you're not saying that whoever buys the resulting knocked off gear will be getting 'good sounds for a good price'?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='31883' date='Jul 14 2007, 07:18 PM']Or do they have to save up more and buy something expensive to make you feel better?[/quote]

Not me, you. If you want to buy battery hen eggs too then that's up to you as well.

We live in an age where everyone seems to think they're owed something, like they shouldn't have to work for it. And also in an age where everyone wants new things. What happened to working hard, saving up and buying the used gear you can afford?

I don't know why Behringer owners take it so personally. Shouldn't you complain to Behringer that their business practices are unethical and that it's unfair for them to take advantage of you by selling equipment whose R&D is knocked off? Caveat emptor.

Alex