Why become a member? ×

Avalon U5: Pre amp and DI for live use?

Higgie

I've bought a Chevin A1000 to go with my Avalon U5 as a pre/power amp setup, to be used with a Vanderkley 4Ohm 212, and I'm unsure if the whole setup can do what I need it to. Now here is the question:

The Chevin only has XLR inputs, so I assume to take the Line Level XLR output from the Avalon into the Chevin, to send to my cab. If I do this, can I simultaneously use the Mic Level XLR to send to the desk? If not, would using the Link output on the Chevin function the same as sending a Line Level signal to the desk?

New to the whole "Pre/Power amp" setup so just a few questions to avoid blowing myself and/or the gear up!

I've been using the Avalon for over a year now, first with a Crown XTi power amp, then a Crest CA9, through a Barefaced Super Twin.

The first thing to say is, yes, you can feed the power amp and the DI at the same time. Like you say, use the line level for the power amp and the mic level for the DI and it works a treat.

i first heard the Avalon when doing some recording, and thought that's the tone I want live.
I love this setup - simple, clean and oozing quality. The Crown amp was good, but the Crest is amazing.
On the Avalon, I tend to bypass the EQ presets and it sounds so clear and musical.
Enjoy!

Thanks all for your replies.

I originally wanted the Berg 310, but gave up waiting for one and bought the Chevin and Vanderkley instead. Been using the U5 into the front of the Tonehammer 500 into 2x Berg AE210s and the sound was marvellous, but working on a ship for months at a time, bringing a rig on and off was beginning to be a ball ache, therefore I made the tough (yeah, right!) decision to buy a power amp for the U5 and use it as an amp for a second rig (...Cue wallet emptying) ;)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1444248084' post='2881627']
I've been using the Avalon for over a year now, first with a Crown XTi power amp, then a Crest CA9, through a Barefaced Super Twin.

The first thing to say is, yes, you can feed the power amp and the DI at the same time. Like you say, use the line level for the power amp and the mic level for the DI and it works a treat.

i first heard the Avalon when doing some recording, and thought that's the tone I want live.
I love this setup - simple, clean and oozing quality. The Crown amp was good, but the Crest is amazing.
On the Avalon, I tend to bypass the EQ presets and it sounds so clear and musical.
Enjoy!
[/quote]

Lovely looking (and I bet sounding!) rig there mate. Can I ask how you transport the Avalon? I have the rack ears kit and was wondering wether to rack mount it with the Chevin or seperately so I can take it on it's own for recording and what not!

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1444264565' post='2881775']

Lovely looking (and I bet sounding!) rig there mate. Can I ask how you transport the Avalon? I have the rack ears kit and was wondering wether to rack mount it with the Chevin or seperately so I can take it on it's own for recording and what not!
[/quote]

I'm not keen on the idea of a 4U rack, so keep it in a case and just put it on top as pictured.

I keep it in a Peli case. I know it's just a case, but I get a disproportionate amount of joy when I use it. They are expensive new, but just about justifiable used off EBay. Great quality is an understatement - shock proof, waterproof, it even has a valve to equalise pressure on a plane!. This 1450 model fits the U5 nicely.

[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/20151008_084726_zpsbwfkhce1.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/20151008_084753_zpsas28hjaz.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Roland Rock

If you are the type who likes to dial in specific frequencies for each room/bass/song then it's probably not for you.
I'm more the type to find a quality core tone and stick with it. The only EQ change I do is put the pickup selector onto neck pup for some specific songs.

There are some EQ options available though, in the form of the six presets on the U5:

Some of these sound great. I love the sound of preset 2 on my neck pup, but then when I go to the bridge pup, it (not surprisingly) doesn't work so well.
On a multi-band gig where we were using my amp, one chap put it on preset 3, and it sounded fantastic with his clanky/slappy style.

So there are options, but for simplicity I just bypass the EQ all the time. Sounds great.

Edited by Roland Rock

I generally use setting 1, 3 or 4 depending on whether im using my jazz with rounds or my p with flats. But bypassing the EQ is still possible as the pure clean sound that comes out is amazing! If your bass is active, then tweak from the onboard preamp!

Edited by Higgie

One more thing then I'll shup up..

If the bass EQ and the Avalon's presets are not enough for you, there are possibilities depending on what power amp you have.

Mine, like many, offers no EQ - it just amplifies.
However, my previous power amp, the Crown XTi2000 was much more flexible. As well as hpf, sub and crossover settings, you could plug it into your computer and create up to 25 (IIRC) presets with whatever boost/cut at whatever frequencies you want.
I had a play and created some notch presets (to dial out boom in various rooms) although never needed it.
You could create one and call it "Jazz Rounds" or another called "P Bass Flats"
If you wanted.

Edited by Roland Rock