Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1143416' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:29 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Vintage-Hondo-II-Japanese-bass-lawsuit-model-LOOK-/140516623000?pt=Guitar&hash=item20b7718298"]Natural coloured Hondo[/url]

Never seen a natural orrible Hondo before. Makes me wonder if he's got this right.[/quote]
I seem to remember Jon mentioning that he'd seen a solid bodied Hondo 'faker before. Or maybe I just imagined it. :)

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1142946' date='Feb 27 2011, 12:41 AM']Please can you lot talk me out of buying this, getting it delivered to my Canadian resident girlfriend and trying to sneak it through customs? I mean it's just the nicest thing I've ever seen.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-rickenfaker-return-most-killer-rickenfaker-em-all-745433/"]Beautiful faker.[/url]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-only-most-killer-rickenfaker-em-all-643032/"]Better pics[/url][/quote]

That looks like the twin brother of the one I just got, complete w chequer binding & down to the exact same wording on the twin 'output' plugs. So I guess that means mine could, in theory, be a Kasuga.

I know you guys wanted some pics with of the routing & electrics, but I've been having way too much fun with it 'as is' to restring it yet!

Be patient!!

[quote name='thegreenman555' post='1143514' date='Feb 27 2011, 04:49 PM']That looks like the twin brother of the one I just got, complete w chequer binding & down to the exact same wording on the twin 'output' plugs. So I guess that means mine could, in theory, be a Kasuga.

I know you guys wanted some pics with of the routing & electrics, but I've been having way too much fun with it 'as is' to restring it yet!

Be patient!![/quote]

I remember that one. Stunning. Put it down and do a photoshoot!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1142885' date='Feb 26 2011, 11:14 PM']Not a Greco or even Japanese. That's an Italian-made Gherson. Very interesting & much rarer than any JapCrap.

Wonder why he's pretending it's a Greco? First random JapCrap name he could think of? Too bad they were never sold in the UK, then. :)

J.[/quote]

Should have left it as a Greco ... gorn!

[quote name='thegreenman555' post='1143514' date='Feb 27 2011, 04:49 PM']That looks like the twin brother of the one I just got, complete w chequer binding & down to the exact same wording on the twin 'output' plugs. So I guess that means mine could, in theory, be a Kasuga.

Be patient!![/quote]
Yours isn't a Kasuga - I found a logo'd one the same as yours on the Rickenfakers Facebook page - this one's branded as JooDee, which was a brand used by the Yamaki factory. Yamaki's best-known brand was Daion, these are spectacularly rare & can sell for a fortune. I had no idea they did a Rickenfaker, and unsurprisingly, now I want one...

Anyway, here's the FB JooDee - identical binding & inlays, apart from the colour it's a dead match:

Jap Fakers used a lot of the same parts, regardless of the factory - it's a common misconception that hardware & pickups were made in-house, this was seldom the case, possibly never. Gotoh, Chushin & Nishin Onpa produced a lot of the bits used in many 70s & 80s JapCraps, plus there will have been a variety of other hardware & electronics manufacturers who aren't yet identified.

J.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1144821' date='Feb 28 2011, 07:16 PM']Should have left it as a Greco ... gorn![/quote]

It's back, but how long for?
This is exactly why I don't want to put mine on FEEBay, but sooner or later I'm going to have to.
It's OK for Retrovibe, Tuscany and Californian to advertise new copies, but not for an individual to advertise an old one.
Twats :) .
Karl.

The Arbiter has been pulled as well.

Edited by karlfer

I would like to add this [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/5-String-Fretless-Rickenbacker-4003-Bass-/190508868465?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c5b36a371"]Rickenbacker[/url] as an honorary Rickenfaker. WTF did they have to mess with the headstock.

[quote name='bosozoku' post='1150607' date='Mar 5 2011, 03:02 PM']I would like to add this [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/5-String-Fretless-Rickenbacker-4003-Bass-/190508868465?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c5b36a371"]Rickenbacker[/url] as an honorary Rickenfaker. WTF did they have to mess with the headstock.[/quote]

OMFG, that is hideous!!!!

That's so comprehensively butchered there's no remaining evidence that it ever was a real Rick!

The funniest thing - or perhaps the only funny thing - is the price. Amazes me how these Ebay special-needs cases always imagine that their inept hack-jobs actually [b]increase[/b] the value of the poor bass they've been raping. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1150661' date='Mar 5 2011, 04:54 PM']Amazes me how these Ebay special-needs cases always imagine that their inept hack-jobs actually [b]increase[/b] the value of the poor bass they've been raping. :)[/quote]
I would understand that if the raped bass was something not as good and famous as rick...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1142885' date='Feb 26 2011, 11:14 PM']Not a Greco or even Japanese. That's an Italian-made Gherson. Very interesting & much rarer than any JapCrap.

Wonder why he's pretending it's a Greco? First random JapCrap name he could think of? Too bad they were never sold in the UK, then. :)

J.[/quote]

That was my auction. I still have the bass. For the record I certainly wasn't pretending that it was a Greco. Rather cynical of you to have assumed so. We don't all have an encyclopaedic knowledge of Rickenfakers.

Spend enough time watching eBay listings (or indeed far too much time, as some of us do :) ) and you'll end up becoming cynical too. :)

I'm delighted to hear that you're "straight", and good to see a lurker emerge blinking into the arc lights of RickenFakers, but for every one eBayer like you there are plenty more who reach automatically for the Ibanez / Matsumoku descriptions regardless of facts or common sense.

Did you ever list that Gherson for sale here? I'm rather fond of my uber-lightweight Gherson Jazz - how heavy is your Rick?

Fair point, Happy Jack. I can understand what you mean. I must admit to some naivety in listing it on Ebay in the first place. But it did at least generate quite a bit of interest and I was genuinely pleased to find out what make it actually was after so many years.

Is it OK to advertise Rick copies for sale on here?

The Gherson Rick is certainly not lightweight. It's pushing 4kg without bridge pup and strings.

Edited by meatbingo

[quote name='meatbingo' post='1151411' date='Mar 6 2011, 01:03 PM']That was my auction. I still have the bass. For the record I certainly wasn't pretending that it was a Greco. Rather cynical of you to have assumed so. We don't all have an encyclopaedic knowledge of Rickenfakers.[/quote]
Eh up, sorry, didn't mean to cause offence & I hope I did my bit for clarity when I messaged you on Ebay with the correct ID for your bass. :)

It's absolutely fine to advertise Rick copies here, selling them here or anywhere else in the world is perfectly legal and your right as the owner. Ebay's an American company - in actual fact based very close to Rickenbacker International Corp in California - and they remove listings for "Rickenfakers" to keep themselves in the clear and avoid incurring the legal wrath of RIC themselves. RIC own trademarks for every element of the 4001/4003 design, and US law requires that a trademark owner must pursue every visible infringement of that trademark, or run the risk of it passing into the public domain - as has already happened for Fender & Gibson. This is why they - or Ebay on their behalf - shut down "infringing" auctions, regardless of where in the world they appear, technically it carries no legal weight in the UK & is just an effect of Ebay being a US company.

Best of luck if you do sell the bass on here!

Jon.

[quote name='meatbingo' post='1151651' date='Mar 6 2011, 05:22 PM']Is it OK to advertise Rick copies for sale on here?[/quote]

Depends on how much you're looking for.

If you're planning to sell it really, really cheap then the rules state that you must offer it to me first by PM (private message).

Hey - I started this topic.

:)

[size=1][i][Actually, Bassassin started it many years ago on another web-site, and I beat him to it when Basschat was founded, but don't tell anyone, OK?]

[/i][/size]

[quote name='karlfer' post='1154417' date='Mar 8 2011, 08:19 PM']Mine.
Been on BC 3 weeks, just a few offers, not quite close enough to £300 collected/£330 delivered.
I've been careful to avoid any references, but it will still probably get pulled.
Karl.[/quote]

Good luck with it!

[quote name='hellothere' post='1154823' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:54 AM']Where can I find out more about Rickenfakers? Such as why there are so many and if there is any way to spot a "good" one without playing it.[/quote]

Read 80 pages of this thread and cross Jon's palm with silver :) .
Karl.