Why become a member? ×

Do you get your amp serviced

Dropzone

It's one of my gear embarassments that I still haven't had my Trace combo serviced since I got it (secondhand) about 12 years ago. Between gigs it gets stored in a cupboard under the stairs so maybe it's actually all being held together with spiderwebs inside these days. I don't carry a back up amp either, in a real emergency I could probably DI through our PA at a pinch.

Amps aren't really serviceable in the way things with moving parts are. There are parts which are more likely to fail than others but nothing that can be serviced, unless you are using a valve amp where valves can be replaced and quiescent currents re-set possibly. If you are dealing with a vintage valve amp then we know that the capacitors fail over time so a 're-cap' can be a good idea but that is more re-build than service. The idea of servicing a solid state amp that is working perfectly is a nonsense, equally if you know it is playing up then you need to have the fault identified and the part replaced before you dream of gigging with it. I wouldn't even use switch cleaner on something working as you could disturb a bit of dirt which would create a problem as a worse case. If it is crackling and you can find the bit that is doing it then it's a minimal risk DIY job, so try a bit of contact cleaner if you are happy to give it a go.

Here's the thing

Everything works perfectly................don't fix it
Something is wrong...........................fix it

I hate the idea that non technical people shell out decent money to a tech who should be straight with them.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1442847040' post='2869948']I wouldn't even use switch cleaner on something working as you could disturb a bit of dirt which would create a problem as a worse case.[/quote]

It's also an excellent conductor so if it conducted somewhere it shouldn't it might not end well.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1442847040' post='2869948']

Here's the thing

Everything works perfectly................don't fix it
Something is wrong...........................fix it

[/quote]

That was pretty much my reasoning in this case. My idleness is vindicated - huzzah!

I have my GK amp serviced annually. Fan cleaned out, any connections checked/tightened etc and
a general once over and bench test. Returned to me with PAT certificate which many venues insist on.
Never had it miss a beat yet. Costs around £20, so 40p a week is my risk - not much for peace of mind?
Of course it may go on for years without this, but for me I see no reason to take any chances.

OK I re read your post

If it's broke .... fix it seems to be what applies here.

If it is tripping then there is a fault, and it will go wrong at the most inconvenient time. This is possibly a power supply or earthing fault so safety may be involved. Switch cleaner isn't going to do it, that is for poor contacts and cutting out not the protection tripping. It could be almost anything including spiders inside the amp but you need it checked out by someone competent. Forgive me but I don't think that's a DIY job for you.

Sorry if my first post put you off, I should have read your post more carefully.

It depends what is meant by tripping.

If the cooling fan or heatsink is obstructed by fluff and spiders webs, as mine was, application of the Hoover saves quite a few quid.

Earlier suggestions that there are no mechanical parts to service are slightly misleading.

Loose connections are sometimes obvious as well.