Why become a member? ×

Nbd ibanez talman

darren

Mint green ordered. Sunburst advertised (locally at first, I'd rather sell a £150 bass locally - if it doesn't go before the new one arrives then at least I'll have perfectly fitting packing material so may advertise it here ;) ).

Having had mine for a few months, may I offer a few words about mine:

It is a stupidly good bass for this kind of money - well finished, sounds great (too much bass if you turn it up on the EQ, as if that was a bad thing), the EQ has a decent range of adjustment on it, jack socket feels sturdy, love the body shape (looks like a more rounded Jaguar to me), and the satin finish on the back of the neck is lovely - thumb slides easily on it without a hint of grab or stickiness.

Machine heads are what you would expect at this price range, they maybe don't have that "quality feel" in the gearing as a premium machine but they hold their tune well enough, not much play in them, can't complain and don't feel compelled to change them out for something better.

The downsides (of which there are scarily few for this price point). The pots feel a bit inexact for want of a better word - when you turn one half of the concentric, it has a tendency to "grab" slightly the other half and move it a little. The centre detents feel a bit inexact (get a thesaurus, man!), more like a curve or a dimple rather than a defined notch. The fret ends (which I touched upon above) are a bit too sharp for my liking. Not fret sprout or anything awful like that, but just not enough time spent on them so they do feel rough if you run your finger along them. I guess it's to be expected - money has to have been saved somewhere - and let me be clear that I don't notice it when I'm playing, but it's something you might want to get seen to if it bugs you. A quick search shows a luthier happy to tidy up fret ends for £30 so considering the bass only cost you £150 one can hardly complain.

All things considered though, I'd happily gig this bass any time. Even more so when I get it in the colour I wanted! ;)

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1442262294' post='2865648']
Frets and pots fine on mine. Maybe they have tightened up the qc or maybe qc is variable. Can't be too bad if you're buying another :)
[/quote]

I was being super picky for the balanced view. It almost felt churlish to even mention it at this price point :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1442268575' post='2865711']

I was being super picky for the balanced view. It almost felt churlish to even mention it at this price point :)
[/quote]

Sure, the only thing I will do is change the machine heads. The D tuner is quite stiff and they feel flimsy. Other than that I just wish it was a little less heavy.

Oh dear. At this price it seems rude not to... and I'm on the look-out for a backup beater... 41mm nut width is encouraging, too. I'm hoping the neck is a little on the chunky side, as most Ibby's I've tried have been a bit too thin for my banana fingers. I really like the look of the ivory/tort/rosewood.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1442303015' post='2865795']
Matt how does the neck compare to something like an M-2000? ;-)
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1442343991' post='2866288']
41mm nut width is encouraging, too. I'm hoping the neck is a little on the chunky side, as most Ibby's I've tried have been a bit too thin for my banana fingers.
[/quote]

No worries. I like a chunky neck - I'm definitely more P than J. The nut width has already been mentioned, and there's a decent bulk to the back of the neck - not the chunkiest 4 string I've played (that has to be the G&L Tribute L-2000 - like a baseball bat sawn in half!). It's a little chunker than the M-2000 (but it does have that lovely inbetween-y profile). Also worth reiterating is the satin finish on the back of the neck, smooth and not grabby in the slightest. I enjoy playing on this neck.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1442345042' post='2866304']
No worries. I like a chunky neck - I'm definitely more P than J. The nut width has already been mentioned, and there's a decent bulk to the back of the neck... It's a little chunker than the M-2000 (but it does have that lovely inbetween-y profile).
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I've also seen a few negative reviews online with regard to tone and build quality, but you're always going to get lemons (basses AND bass players). From what's been said here, they are obviously the exception.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1442345745' post='2866310']
Thanks for that. I've also seen a few negative reviews online with regard to tone and build quality, but you're always going to get lemons (basses AND bass players). From what's been said here, they are obviously the exception.
[/quote]

If I paid attention to negative reviews, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be playing most of the basses I do ;)

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1442392629' post='2866525']
Thomann has a decent returns policy though and I'm really happy I took the plunge.
[/quote]

Decided I don't need a backup bass now, but at this price... what the hell! :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1442393119' post='2866529']
If I paid attention to negative reviews, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be playing most of the basses I do ;)
[/quote]

Quite. Or buying anything at all, really. :)
I think a lot of negative product reviews are down to people being idiots and not understanding how things work. I've read negative bass reviews complaining about neck relief, action, strings, etc - issues that are the responsibility of the player/purchaser, imho.

It's a bit like complaining about a pair of trousers that you couldn't walk in - turns out you had both legs down one trouser-hole.
There, I said 'trouser-hole'. Deal with it and get on with your day.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1442394484' post='2866553']
I think a lot of negative product reviews are down to people being idiots and not understanding how things work. I've read negative bass reviews complaining about neck relief, action, strings, etc - issues that are the responsibility of the player/purchaser, imho.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, any mention of that kind of stuff is instant invalidation from me.

Somewhere between Germany and the UK...

:)

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1442400009' post='2866608']
So, with all these Talmans soon to arrive, somebody is going to tell me if they think a Fender neck will fit. right?
[/quote]

:D Yes, but according to the spec they are 62mm at the last fret, as darren said. Will confirm asap.
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=2&series_id=58&data_id=124&color=CL01"]http://www.ibanez.co...=124&color=CL01[/url]

Edited by discreet

The Fender neck I have in mind (off a Squire Tele Bass) is 63.5 at the last (20th) fret so it's not a million miles away and quite within the realms of my woodworking skills to make a little skinnier. Being a Tele bass neck it even has the square heel end that the Talman appears to have. It's really just a question I think of the depth of the neck pocket and the location of the pocket in relation to the bridge.

P

Played my talman at last night's gig. My thoughts the morning after are: the neck is effortless to play due to the satin finish, the machine heads are crap - can make a 1/4 turn and see no change on the tuner. Therefore took longer than what is accessible (3 earth minutes) to be sure it was in tune. The bass looks killer and sounds the bomb. I also use a chorus pedal and overdrive and having the ability to boost/cut on the active eq has enabled me to get just the tone I'm after. Fab.

• 4 weeks later...

Played mine at band rehearsal. I can't say I noticed any problem with the tuners - I found them adequate enough. Could hear myself no bother. Will be playing it at our next gig - Halloween - will probably do something gimmicky like hang some "spiders" off the tuners and such like ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1444919875' post='2887362']
Played mine at band rehearsal. I can't say I noticed any problem with the tuners - I found them adequate enough. Could hear myself no bother. Will be playing it at our next gig - Halloween - will probably do something gimmicky like hang some "spiders" off the tuners and such like ;)
[/quote]

Playing mine at a Halloween gig too... Spooky! :)