Why become a member? ×

All the gear and no-eye-dear

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441484642' post='2859231']
So... you bring two superior quality basses because of their reliability, but you bring two in case one breaks? That makes very little sense to me. They're either highly reliable, and therefore only one is required, or they're as fallible as all other basses, and you need two. It can't be both.
[/quote]

Yes it can.
I don't have a crystal ball.
I don't leave things to chance.
I own several basses.
I get paid to play and it represents a big chunk of my income.

Not taking a spare is stupidity.
I'm a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441484642' post='2859231']
Fantastic bit of gear snobbery regarding cheap basses, though.
[/quote]

And that's so much worse than inverse snobbery? :lol:

If you are happy with a cheap bass, and it gives you what you need from it, then that's absolutely fine by me.

I'm not, they don't and that should be fine by you as well.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1441487344' post='2859259']
And that's so much worse than inverse snobbery? :lol:
[/quote]

Besides saying they aren't required for the local pub gig, what negative thing have I said in this thread about expensive gear?

You see, I haven't. I haven't generalised that they're all [i]this[/i] or [i]that[/i], like you have generalised that cheap basses apparently can't do what you want them to.

You're not the only one who isn't stupid.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441488634' post='2859270']
Besides saying they aren't required for the local pub gig, what negative thing have I said in this thread about expensive gear?

You see, I haven't. I haven't generalised that they're all [i]this[/i] or [i]that[/i], like you have generalised that cheap basses apparently can't do what you want them to.

You're not the only one who isn't stupid.
[/quote]

Well ignoring the semantics, there's no 'apparently' about it.
If they don't match the criteria I expect of them then they're not for me.

I have no problem with that, it's my choice.
I have already said that I also have no problem with anyone who is happy with a cheaper bass, that's their choice.

Seems I have no problems, so that's all good then. :)

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1441489023' post='2859275']
This thread might have a point if there was some inherent disadvantage to using a more expensive instrument, but there isn't ...
[/quote]

There is...

They cost more.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1441489023' post='2859275']
This thread might have a point if there was some inherent disadvantage to using a more expensive instrument, but there isn't ...
[/quote]

Aside from the cost factor and the law of diminishing returns. I don't disagree, however. Most high-ticket basses are better. There is an interesting phenomenon that simply pricing something higher makes it's disproportionately more valuable, which harks the old question "Is a Fender really worth it?".

You don't need to justify your choice of instrument, stings, amplification or anything else to anyone except yourself. Why don't the people spending so much time worrying about the moral well-being of their fellow musicians spend that time becoming better musicians? maybe then they'd find it "justifiable" to own a more expensive - avoided the word "better" deliberately - bass?

Just a thought...

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1441491391' post='2859301']
You don't need to justify your choice of instrument, stings, amplification or anything else to anyone except yourself. Why don't the people spending so much time worrying about the moral well-being of their fellow musicians spend that time becoming better musicians? maybe then they'd find it "justifiable" to own a more expensive - avoided the word "better" deliberately - bass?

Just a thought...
[/quote]

Alright guys, you honestly need to learn the difference between innocently asking questions, putting forward a point of view, and bringing down the gavel in the USSR for unwarranted and illegal indulgences. I haven't forced anyone to justify why they have the gear that they do. I haven't said they don't deserve it, or that they shouldn't have it, simply that IMO it's not really necessary [i]for a local covers band[/i], and in some cases, perhaps a bit over the top.

I spend my time in lots of ways, and frankly it's stooping to a pretty low level to suggest that my questioning of the phenomenon implies that I'm a poor musician.

And you don't need to avoid the word "better". It's perfectly reasonable to assume more money invested in a product returns you a better product. I've never denied that.

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441491882' post='2859306']

Alright guys, you honestly need to learn the difference between innocently asking questions, putting forward a point of view, and bringing down the gavel in the USSR for unwarranted and illegal indulgences. I haven't forced anyone to justify why they have the gear that they do. I haven't said they don't deserve it, or that they shouldn't have it, simply that IMO it's not really necessary [i]for a local covers band[/i], and in some cases, perhaps a bit over the top.

I spend my time in lots of ways, and frankly it's stooping to a pretty low level to suggest that my questioning of the phenomenon implies that I'm a poor musician.

And you don't need to avoid the word "better". It's perfectly reasonable to assume more money invested in a product returns you a better product. I've never denied that.
[/quote]

Seems some people don't like to have their decisions questioned. :rolleyes:

Asking questions is good. Questioning people's right to play what they want, how and where they want to play it, is antagonistic and pointless. My double bass teacher said something to me many years ago. I was fortunate enough to acquire a double bass at a price I could afford, which turned out to be a VERY high-quality instrument worth many times what I paid for it. When I asked him if I should sell it and get something more suited to my ability at the time, he told me that in an ideal world, beginners would be playing top quality instruments, because they would be encouraged by the possibilities a great instrument will offer. So should there be some kind of audition before you're allowed to own a Wal? That really IS dictatorship! Besides, I'd probably fail the audition..............

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441491399' post='2859302']
Apparently asking questions makes me some kind of communist dictator.
[/quote]
Says who? Apart from you, that is. ;)

Oh, and even the most brilliant of musicians can become better by practicing more, so you don't need to be quite so defensive. Nobody is calling anyone a poor musician, or even implying it.

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1441492240' post='2859311']
Asking questions is good. Questioning people's right to play what they want, how and where they want to play it, is antagonistic and pointless.
[/quote]

Read the thread again, Comrade. I never questioned that. In fact, I recognised it very early on in the thread.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441290376' post='2857617']
It seems that most of you are saying that it's generally just an act of hedonistic consumerism. Interesting.
[/quote]

I'd hope but I wouldn't gamble the cash that things have improved. But in the early 90s I bought a Squier Tele. The pickups were fairly microphonic and the machines didn't hold tune very well. I bought Fender US pickups for it and Schaller machines. It later turned out that the frets were a bit soft too - but that might have been me being heavy handed.

If there was a next time & I had the cash to hand, I'd spare myself the hassle and disappointment of gambling I'd have to do that again by going for a better spec (therefore higher cost - probably) guitar..

Comrade??? Not sure I was the one asking people to "qualify" to own a nice instrument. It's not just hedonistic consumerism. I've spent what I can justify [i]to myself [/i]​on the basses I own. I haven't bought a bass in 10 years. If it offends your sensibilities to see an average player in a pub band with a Wal hanging from his strap, I'd suggest you haven't got enough worries in your life. Lucky man!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1441493199' post='2859323']
It later turned out that the frets were a bit soft too - but that might have been me being heavy handed.
[/quote]

Commonly agreed to be a fault with some Squiers and certainly the case with my Squier Std from about 2005.

([i]Returns to towel folding, whistles theme to Workers Playtime[/i]).

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1441493259' post='2859325']
Comrade??? Not sure I was the one asking people to "qualify" to own a nice instrument.
[/quote]

I didn't see that anywhere. Not from me, not from anyone.

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1441493259' post='2859325']
If it offends your sensibilities to see an average player in a pub band with a Wal hanging from his strap
[/quote]

Again, I haven't said that once. I'm not offended by it.

Perhaps you should stop making stuff up now.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1441490845' post='2859296']
There is...

They cost more.
[/quote]

Well not unless the cost difference adversely affects your life in some way and I doubt that is the case for pretty much anyone on here who owns expensive gear.