Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Progressive bass refinish.

Shockwave

Hello gents.

I picked up a Harley Benton Progressive 4 string Deko bass. There was nothing wrong with it apart from the D for Deko stamps. It played and sounded great so decided to make it my own. Considering it cost me £40 shipped it was a bargain!

So the stripping has begun!

Some nice tidy wiring work. Body and neck as fairly tight together. The poly finish was fairly easy to take off with a heatgun and wallpaper scraper. The black underneath needed a combination of Wallpaper scraper and sandpaper 240 Grit. The white primer underneath is taking much more time. Wood is alder and pretty lightweight. No flame top or anything. Almost looks like a one piece body but cant confirm until the rest of the primer is off.

Has taken about 2 and a half hours so far.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1440064234' post='2847930']
What are you planning to do with it? Or, are you making it up as you go along? :)
[/quote]

Not sure at the moment! I have a few ideas, Bright Nuclear green like my old Pedulla, Hot pink, Blue and white quarters (Bristol Rovers style!) I have no idea at the moment! Body looks to be at least 2 piece, so probably wont be natural, that and the primer is a real pain!

Open to suggestions though!

Latest sanding progress.

Headstock and back done!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1440079070' post='2848092']
Looking good, Shame that natural isn't an option.

Is the black we see on the back what remains of the original paint? How are you stripping?
[/quote]

Looking at it, actually looks more like 4-5 pieces of Alder and what could be a massive imperfection. So no natural I am afraid! Yes the black was what remained of the original paint.

I stripped the initial poly off with heat gun and wallpaper scraper. The black paint and primer was hand sanded, took quite a few hours! The headstock didn't have any primer luckily!

Now going to fine sand tomorrow, get some primer and research possible finishes!

How about going for a veneer top so that you can have a natural finish? As Andy, who has mentioned this thread in another place, does.

I have a guitar (Yammy Pacifica) which is a natural finish, even though it's made from about five pieces of wood. If I were doing what you are doing, I'd think about seeing whether a dark brown transparent finish with something to make the grain pop would be a possibility.

I googled ash veneers to see if the above was possible, and there are similar veneers. But, I found this ash burl veneer.

Wouldn't that look fantastic on a top?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1440089409' post='2848243']
How about going for a veneer top so that you can have a natural finish? As Andy, who has mentioned this thread in another place, does.

I have a guitar (Yammy Pacifica) which is a natural finish, even though it's made from about five pieces of wood. If I were doing what you are doing, I'd think about seeing whether a dark brown transparent finish with something to make the grain pop would be a possibility.

I googled ash veneers to see if the above was possible, and there are similar veneers. But, I found this ash burl veneer.

Wouldn't that look fantastic on a top?
[/quote]

Looks lovely. But I don't have the time, skills or equipment to commit to such a thing.

• 2 weeks later...