Why become a member? ×

Bass weight Issues

Jazzygoodtimes

You don't have to say how much (if any) exercise you do but I found (on top of what has previously been suggested in this thread) doing a bit of weights (with proper form of course) really helped me.

I used to be struggling a bit at the end of a three hour rehearsal session but now I hardly feel the weight of the bass at all - having slightly stronger muscles really help with posture away from the bass too. Doesn't need to be anything too strenuous/heavy but doing a few of the big compound movements (squats, bench, shoulder press, careful deadlifts etc...) has really helped me.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1439914853' post='2846737']
You don't have to say how much (if any) exercise you do but I found (on top of what has previously been suggested in this thread) doing a bit of weights (with proper form of course) really helped me.

I used to be struggling a bit at the end of a three hour rehearsal session but now I hardly feel the weight of the bass at all - having slightly stronger muscles really help with posture away from the bass too. Doesn't need to be anything too strenuous/heavy but doing a few of the big compound movements (squats, bench, shoulder press, careful deadlifts etc...) has really helped me.
[/quote]

Thanks man, I was thinking that maybe doing some weights would help ease the issues, will looking it.

I had that problem when playing my precision. I bought a memory foam pillow, and now I don't have that problem at all.

I did also go to the local pain clinic who xrayed my neck and determined it was due to a compressed disk in my neck, caused when my neck leaned to the left.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1439914853' post='2846737']

[/quote]
+1 deadlifts are the best resistance training for posture and grip strength

Yeah I'm just over the parapet into my 40s, and i struggle with heavy basses which give me pins and needles in my fretting hand, arm and shoulder. A few years ago i needed a cortisone injection as the doc reckoned the shoulder joint was somehow pinching the nerve channel inside.

Out of curiosity i weighed the basses on my missus kitchen scales - 4.15kg (9.1lbs) for a precision, 3.8kgs (8.5lbs) for another precision, and 3.9kgs (8.6lbs) for my jazz-alike.

The difference between the heaviest and lightest is only about the same weight as a full pot of jam, but its really noticeable - i guess because the heaviest one also has the thickest neck etc, making it more of a handful all round.

Unfortunately, the heaviest precision does sound incredible, distinctly louder than the two others.

But i guess its easier to dial in more bass than to ignore shoulder pain.

Edited by bassbiscuits