Why become a member? ×

Ageing new parts

King Tut

I bought a lovely old P a while ago from Beedster. Trouble is the bridge wasn't original and i wanted a bridge cover. I've bought a reissue vintage bridge and bridge cover ,but of course - they're all shiny. Anyone got any tricks to make them look more 'used' and tarnished. OK - I know the bridge will be under the cover and no one'll be able to see it - that's just me!

[quote name='Buzz' post='275350' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:24 PM']I'd say some sort of week acid solution to tarnish the chrome a bit, no idea what sort of acid base you'd need though or if it's even feasible.[/quote]
I concur, and would venture to suggest these readily available weak domestic acids;

Vinegar?
Lemon Juice?

Might be an idea to find something small, cheap and chromed (nuts/bolts?) and experiment in small amounts before moving on to the big stuff!

[quote name='King Tut' post='275317' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:45 AM']Anyone got any tricks to make them look more 'used' and tarnished?[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='275450' date='Sep 2 2008, 02:28 PM']I've got a load of aging parts that I want to look new. How do I do that?[/quote]

Trade?

I look after my stuff - the chrome pickupo & bridge ashtrays on my '81 precision are identical to the much newer ones on my other much newer fenders. No rust or tarnish, the chrome is bright and the only marks are fingerprints which come off with a wipe of a microfibre cloth. No one's going to see the bridge and relic bridges I've seen are usually ridiculously overdone. I'd vote leave 'em be.