Why become a member? ×

Fender 80's Power Jazz Bass Special 'remodel'.

Dood

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440712256' post='2853310']
Lovely finish. So is this custom car-type two-part paint? Like Candy Colours or something? :)
[/quote]

It is indeed 'flip-paint'. People tend to call this TVR flip paint, though of course it's not just TVR cars that use it. The effect can be controlled radically by not only the colour flip paint itself but also the undercoat. In order to get the weird pink/burgundy mist finish here, the undercoat is a sparkle red!

Yes, I will be taking more pictures!!

• 3 weeks later...

Better than pictures, here it is sounding absolutely wonderful whilst reviewing some EBS bass pedals: http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-36/edition-videos/dv_ebs_black_label_edition_pedals_review/

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1440707494' post='2853223']

[/quote]
Did you do this using the flash paint selling on ebay? Amazing coloirs. I have been having so much trouble doing repaint "in my studio". I stopped using Nitro. I don't know if it's the tempretures here but I could not get nitro to harden!

At the moment I am using Grafitti paint. (Brand availible if you ask) I don't want to get into trouble :blush:

I have 3 rebuilds to paint and I am struggling as the Grafitti paint it vc fast drying has loads of colours but barely close to some of the rerpro colour buzz I need for one body! Brand names and other relevent info appreciated! Thanks

[quote name='ziggybass' timestamp='1443870017' post='2878302']
Did you do this using the flash paint selling on ebay? Amazing coloirs. I have been having so much trouble doing repaint "in my studio". I stopped using Nitro. I don't know if it's the tempretures here but I could not get nitro to harden!

At the moment I am using Grafitti paint. (Brand availible if you ask) I don't want to get into trouble :blush:

I have 3 rebuilds to paint and I am struggling as the Grafitti paint it vc fast drying has loads of colours but barely close to some of the rerpro colour buzz I need for one body! Brand names and other relevent info appreciated! Thanks
[/quote]

I have to admit, I didn't do the respray myself! My buddy Mark at Musical Instrument Rehab did the refinish for me. I'm not sure where he sourced the flip paint but I do know there is a very reputable outlet near Sheffield. I forget the name though!

To get this rather lovely burgundy mist / purple / pinky pink pink / I'm sometimes blue type look is due to chasing a different undercoat. In this case there's a metallic red under the 'flip' layer.

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1443368563' post='2874166']
that bass looks sooooo sexy :-)
[/quote]
[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1443374476' post='2874211']
That looks terrific
[/quote]

Thank you! I love it! Very pleased with the sound too. All the electronics and hardware I did myself but as above, not the paint job.

Here it is in action - ignore the rest of the review (if you wish!) http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-36/edition-videos/dv_ebs_black_label_edition_pedals_review/

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1443896328' post='2878611']
You're going to be gutted the first chip it gets. It looks too nice to play - it should be hanging in an art gallery :D
[/quote]

After owning a couple of basses with flip paint already, I have had to go through that feeling. Especially as the first ding was in a 'top of the range' custom Shuker build! - But on the flipside, basses aren't for hanging on walls, they are for playing and every ding tells a story!!

p.s. yeah, gutted though ha ha!