Why become a member? ×

Active Bass help

Nicko

After playing my PB for what seems like forever I just happened to pick up my old Peavey BXP Cirrus. Its nice to play but its active and quite frankly I don't have much of a clue what all the knobs do.

When I played it before I didn't try to change the sound much - I guess I've got used to altering the sound of the PB

Volume is obvious but the other four knobs less so. I'm sure all you BCers will tell me to use my ears, but honestly unless the knobs are in the centre notch it sounds pretty sh**e. The Peavey website describes it as active pickups with a 3 Band EQ so I assume in addition to volume there's one knob to balance the pickups and one for low/mid/high cut/boost.

Anyone got one of these that can offer advise?

I had one of those. Best neck I ever played.

I found the bass & mids knobs were pretty decent but the treble didn't do much.

I tried an East U-Retro with it but it didn't much like the active pickups.

I believe there's a pre-amp swap with another Peavey model you can do on it to improve things but I can't remember the details.

G.

It looks like its just a standard Bass/Mid/Treble/Blend/Volume.

EQ 10db cut or boost

Id 90% say this was the layout

[URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/mikeoranage/media/CirrusCloseupBody%20copy_zps5knbazq9.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y382/mikeoranage/CirrusCloseupBody%20copy_zps5knbazq9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1437657894' post='2827934']
It looks like its just a standard Bass/Mid/Treble/Blend/Volume.

EQ 10db cut or boost

Id 90% say this was the layout

[url="http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/mikeoranage/media/CirrusCloseupBody%20copy_zps5knbazq9.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]
Yes, without but without the nice looking top.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1437660151' post='2827954']
Yes, without but without the nice looking top.
[/quote]

haha, never played one but they get great feedback

Edited by mrn1989

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1437662343' post='2827983']
haha, never played one but they get great feedback
[/quote]

It was my first bass. I shopped around before I bought it and its definitely the best feeling bass I played - either in or outside my price range. Was a really good deal - especially when I exported it and got the VAT back (was living overseas for a while) . Shame the sound doesn't quite match up - at least in my clumsy mits.

I rotate a lot of different basses for gigs.

Recently I have been playing my G&L ASAT with active pre-amp.

I'm no expert and the only thing I will tell you is;

[b]Don't ever use cheap 9 volt batteries. I did and my bass failed at a gig. It was one of the few times I didn't bring a spare. I had to open up that back panel with a Phillips head screw driver and replace the 9 volt. [/b]

Luckily I had a few energizers in my case

Blue

The 3-band is just an active bass/mid/treble control... I approach them as something to generally do small tweaks to. I get the sound I want from the amp... then I may adjust slightly with the onboard EQ. You find you need a bit more mids... up it goes. Or cut the low end. Or cut the treble...
Just because you have 5 knobs it doesn't mean you *have to* tweak them all :lol: Find what makes it sound good, and learn what each knob does *in the band context* so that you can do adjustments on the fly when you need to. There's nothing particularly different about basses with active EQ...

Like Blue I had an active bass run out of juice mid gig. Mid 90s I had the good fortune to play in a band for the musical 'Grease' (Southampton Uni not West End!) but didn't have a spare battery.

In front of a sell out audience my bass decides to die during the first few bars of my big moment, 'you're the one that I want', oh poop!!! Luckily the MD played the bass part on her keyboard and saved my butt.

20 years later that still haunts me but lesson learned, my EUB takes a 9v battery and I always have a fresh battery for a performance plus a spare on top of the amp in case.

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1437860902' post='2829657']
Like Blue I had an active bass run out of juice mid gig. Mid 90s I had the good fortune to play in a band for the musical 'Grease' (Southampton Uni not West End!) but didn't have a spare battery.

In front of a sell out audience my bass decides to die during the first few bars of my big moment, 'you're the one that I want', oh poop!!! Luckily the MD played the bass part on her keyboard and saved my butt.

20 years later that still haunts me but lesson learned, my EUB takes a 9v battery and I always have a fresh battery for a performance plus a spare on top of the amp in case.
[/quote]

ouch! :lol: what a way to learn that lesson!