Why become a member? ×

FOLK BY THE OAK

pjb13.bass

[b]Did anyone else go to the FBTO festival yesterday? My second year and it really is a [i]pleasant [/i]day out particularly as the weather was fine all day. Not sure about the music this year though despite there being some big names from the folk & country circuit...Mary Chapin Carpenter, ( three piece with no rhythm section), Bellowhead and Unthanks.[/b]

[b]Best band was the Moulettes on the Acorn stage. Check them out they are kind of psychedelic folk ![/b]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1437415022' post='2825820']
Love MCC's music.
[/quote]

Sadly she was very disappointing again. I last saw her at the Albert Hall where she did the big orchestral thing which was very drab and a bit pretentious really. It was also bloody expensive! She seems to want to do all of her slow numbers and then slow them down even more. On Sunday she even did Passionate Kisses as a ballad! I've seen her about half a dozen times over the last 25 years and I doubt I will bother again. Not having a rhythm section this time didn't help but at least she had the ever present and very wonderful John Carol on piano.

I could have done without her to be honest, but I think I'd have maybe enjoyed her earlier in the day. Where she was, she was just killing time before Moulettes and Bellowhead for me. Folk by the Oak is always on our calendar, it's a lovely, chilled affair, plenty for the kids too.

Edited by NickD

Yeah I thought the running order on the main stage had been well thought out. Each act got progressively better, although maybe The Keston Cobblers Club & Nancy Kerr could have been interchanged, until MCC came on and then she brought it right down. But she was the big star of the day I suppose. At least Bellowhead didn't have a difficult act to follow. If you remember last year poor old Seth Lakeman had to follow Richard Thompson...at a folk festival! Now thats a tough gig.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1437464404' post='2826111']
Ooh... harsh break!

Having said that, I can't imagine an act that Bellowhead couldn't follow in that genre.

I loved Nancy Kerr's bassist, he held it all together beautifully.
[/quote]

Yeah. He had a lovely touch. I was quite far back and the video screen didn't really focus on him. Was that a Stingray?

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1437467304' post='2826144']
Crikey, you were far back!

If it was a Stingray it was a very big one, and acoustic, and fretless, with f holes and a scroll top!
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he played an electric for a couple of numbers

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1437468905' post='2826163']
Lol. He might have done, I was only down the front for half the set before I was required back for parenting duties. I only saw the upright.
[/quote]

You've got me doubting my sanity now and am desperately searching the web for pics but that said I remember thinking...'Ah ! The first electric bass of the day'. The only electric bass of the day on the main stage as it turned out.

I wasn't even drinking, and it's still a blur to me. I spent most of the day chasing the twins around, and caught a bit of music when I could! I'm sure photographic clarification will be available soon.

O[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1437470146' post='2826175']
I wasn't even drinking, and it's still a blur to me. I spent most of the day chasing the twins around, and caught a bit of music when I could! I'm sure photographic clarification will be available soon.
[/quote]

One of the few benefits of getting old is not having to worry about the kids . Good luck with that :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1437414853' post='2825813']
Posted about Moulettes on here before, stunning live band.
[/quote]

I played with them last year and they were so good I bought the album. I found it disappointing, lacking the energy of the live band. I think it might have been a different bunch of musicians in the studio

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1437472000' post='2826202']

I played with them last year and they were so good I bought the album. I found it disappointing, lacking the energy of the live band. I think it might have been a different bunch of musicians in the studio
[/quote]

Yes, definitely a live act. Like the albums, but they are in another league live IMO. Where did you play with them?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1437472542' post='2826208']
Yes, definitely a live act. Like the albums, but they are in another league live IMO. Where did you play with them?
[/quote]

Middlewich FAB Festival. It's a fairly local festival but pulls quite a crowd. They had us on again this year with Lindisfarne as the headline. Not my cup of tea!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1437473004' post='2826215']
Middlewich FAB Festival. It's a fairly local festival but pulls quite a crowd. They had us on again this year with Lindisfarne as the headline. Not my cup of tea!
[/quote]

Which line up of Lindisfarne was it do you remember? Was it Ray Jackson's? He was the original mandolin and harmonica player. There is also Ray Laidlaw's Lindisfarne. Actually it doesn't really matter as neither is half as good as when Alan Hull was alive. I keep saying I'm a Lindisfarne fan but the reality is that I'm a massive fan of the Fog On The Tyne album. A masterpiece IMO