Why become a member? ×

If i wanted to get rid of my Schroeder 1212L for a 1x15.....

dave_bass5

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Had a 4 hour rehearsal yesterday. Most of the room is more or less a stage area, so things can be very boomy, although as long as I stand off the stage most of the low end boom is well controlled

Ill reserve full judgement until the end of this month when i have my next gig, but here are a few thoughts. I only used my Squer CVP bass, with balanced tension XL's.

Its definitely seems like its going to be loud enough, we seem rehearse at almost gig levels as the drummer only has one setting :-(. I normally use my MB F1 head almost flat, and this was the case yesterday, although i did turn the treble up just a bit to get a bit more clarity. Im not sure this was because the strings are now a bt dull, but it worked. First time ive used the knob.
I normally use a Darkglass VMTD but it seems the BF sounded good without it. Its definitely got that "retro" vibe to it already so i doubt ill need the VMTD much longer. I evne found i had a pick tone that was what ive bene looking for for a good few years. This issue was one reason ive been trying to give up using a pick. Now im not so sure i want to as the tone was spot on.
I did miss the more open tone my 1212L has, but loved the new found bottom end. It was clear and defined (room allowing), and what ive always missed from the 1212L. I thought the BF was a lot more traditional sounding compared to the 1212L, and thats the whole reason for getting it.

I did have my 1212L there and managed to compare the two cabs for a few numbers. The 1212L sounded bigger but muddier. It normally does in this room though, and i keep forgetting to bring the Gramma pad.

Overall i doubt ill miss the 1212L but i think il keep it for a while longer in case we have a few of our old bigger regular gigs come in that i know will need a bit more mid punch to get me heard. Not saying the BF wont cut it, but ive had bad experiences with out cabs at these venues so better to be safe than not heard.

Hopefully ill have a few more rehearsals in different room over the next month, so that will really show what this cab can do. Im looking forward to using it in a normal room, where i can dial in the tone i want and not have to compromise because of the surface its on.

More to follow soon........

Edited by dave_bass5

Yeah, very pleased. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

One of the reasons ive been trying to get away from my 1212L is the low mid bump that cab has. I can appreciate this as being the main reason this cab is so loud, but its not a tone i really like.
The BF seems smoother down that end, and i want to keep it that way. Id rather not have to change the tone just to get heard.
Saying that, i dont think ill need to on the whole. My guitarist only uses a 18watt tube combo (loud, but not wall of sound loud), so there is enough sonic space to get heard. Its more the larger venues where we will have to turn up a bit. I suppose at the end of the day i know how loud my drummer can get and the F1/BF can keep up with him so i dont really need to worry.
I had a couple of bad experiences a few years ago with my rig (not the 1212L, it was a Epi UL212 and a MB Traveler115) being pushed to the max and still not getting across loud enough, that ive been a bit paranoid about taking anything other than my 1212L to gigs.
I dont really have any concerns at the moment though, and am very happy with what im hearing back from the rehearsal recording.

Now then, on to the amp. Looking at the Ashdown RM800 as a replacement for my F1. Something a bit more vintage sounding, should work well with the retro sounding cab.

Edited by dave_bass5

It's more than just one freq though. To my ears the cab seems to have an almost sledgehammer tone. It punches through anything but I've always wanted a more traditional sounding cab.
It's not a bad tone, it's worked for well over 200 gigs, but I've always been looking for something different. I've tried many things, and found the best I got was with my BDDI, this seemed to take out quite a bit of the mid range punch, but the cab was still lacking in true low end thump.
It will take me a while to get used to the Retro, especially if I'm dumping the VMTD as well, but for the first time in over 20 years I can actually take my own rig to rehearsals, so I'll get used to it very quickly.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately i dont think this was the right cab for me. Its exactly as Alex describes it on his website, and on paper i thought it would be a good choice, but im missing the more modern tones im used to.

Ive given it 3 rehearsals and while i get some great tones out of it i dont think its going to be right for the more up to date songs we intend to start doing.
I did get a VTBass DI to add some sparkle and this has worked a treat, i love this preamp, but at the end of the day im going back to what i know for now and re evaluate. I still want shot of the 1212L but It doesn't help that my guitarist is quitting after the next gig, so i might not even need a cab after that.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1438011486' post='2830830']
I should add that im hoping to get one of the new Tech 21 500watt heads later this year, once our gigs pick up. Ill be able to stop using the VMTD as well then.
[/quote]

Just returned mine to Thomann. Just didn't get on with it. Seemed under-powered, Will continue with the TH500 for the time being.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1442440181' post='2867062']
Just returned mine to Thomann. Just didn't get on with it. Seemed under-powered, Will continue with the TH500 for the time being.
[/quote]

Thanks Dave. Your not the first person to say this.
Since i posted that comment ive got a VTBass DI and over the moon with it, so it, along with my MB F1 head stays. Sold the Darkglass as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread to add that I'm about to order a BB2. Let's see how I get on with this.
As much as I didn't get to love the Retro Two 10 as much as I hoped it's given me a taste of what can be achieved these days from lighter, smaller cabs, and I'd love to stay with BF if I can.
Alex has given me a lot of help and info, so here goes. Watch this space.

Cheers. It will be a novelty actually using the EQ on my MB F1 head. Normally its just set flat or close to that. I do find the EQ on my VTBass DI to have a lot more impact but the lows are so powerful id be worried about turning that knob up with the BB2.

This will be the first 8ohm cab ive had for a very long time. I might look at getting a new amp, something more powerful, just to give me a bit more clean headroom from the amp. Going from a very loud 4ohm 1212L to to the BF at 8 ohms might involve me having to turn up a bit more on the head. Normally its run at around 11 on the master. I have run had it at just past 1 o'clock a few times and its wasnt a pleasant tone. Ill have to see how the first gig goes though, i might not need it.
The Ashdown RM800 looks like a good move if i do go for something louder.

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1444917673' post='2887330']
Love my BB2, it's got everything I need. Can be very transparent so have to use EQ to get the right tone, depending on the head, but better to dial things out, you can't add what isn't there! Great cab indeed.
[/quote]

I'd say it is harder to dial out than in....always has been, IMO. Some amps can't cut....

and if you've ever had a boomy cab on a boomy stage..?? you try getting rid of that...??

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1444919128' post='2887352']
Cheers. It will be a novelty actually using the EQ on my MB F1 head. Normally its just set flat or close to that. I do find the EQ on my VTBass DI to have a lot more impact but the lows are so powerful id be worried about turning that knob up with the BB2.

This will be the first 8ohm cab ive had for a very long time. I might look at getting a new amp, something more powerful, just to give me a bit more clean headroom from the amp. Going from a very loud 4ohm 1212L to to the BF at 8 ohms might involve me having to turn up a bit more on the head. Normally its run at around 11 on the master.[b] I have run had it at just past 1 o'clock a few times and its wasnt a pleasant tone[/b]. Ill have to see how the first gig goes though, i might not need it.
The Ashdown RM800 looks like a good move if i do go for something louder.
[/quote]

This sorts the men out from the boys in regards to amps, IMO.

It is easy to make cheaper amps but when you ask a lot from them and run them hard,
that is the difference, IMO

I wont say what amps can't, IME, but that is what made the TF550-B a very viable 550w amp, IMO.

To be fair to my Markbass heads it was probably more down to the rubbish cabs I was using at the time.
And by rubbish I'm talking about a MB traveler 15 cab on one occasion, and a Epifini UL212 the other times. Each needed pushing very hard to do the same job as the 1212L had done at the same venues with less effort.
This is one reason I've stuck with the 1212L for so long. I might not totally love it, but it's never let me down as far as gigs go. And we all know that if something works it's not a good idea to mess with it. I know, Ive tried over the years and keep going back.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444924351' post='2887417']

I'd say it is harder to dial out than in....always has been, IMO. Some amps can't cut....

and if you've ever had a boomy cab on a boomy stage..?? you try getting rid of that...??
[/quote]

I see your point, and I'm sure you're right, but I haven't had this issue, even the boomiest stages have been easily dealt with by an auralex pad, GK mb800 EQ and the responsiveness of the BB2 in my experience.

I must admit ive had a hard time dialling the Schroeder sound out of my 1212L. I sort of agree with John, it seems easier to dial in a mid hump than to get rid of one like the 1212L has. Not that it always needs it, its just after using one for so many years i want a more traditional tone, and the 1212L just cant seem to get it.
Ive been using a Gramma pad for years, at every gig, and i dont really have issues with boom, but i dont hear true low end like i did with the Retro Two 10, and hopefully the BB2.

Ok, here we go with round two.

The BB2 has just arrived (big thanks to Alex and the team for getting this to me waaaay before the estimated delivery date), and its lovely. I wont be able to plug it in until tomorrow though. it feels more substantial than the RT10. Its seems bigger and heavier than i thought it would, and thats a good thing.

Also nice to see the grill has had a nice polish ;-)

Pics and more thoughts tomorrow. Got a full 4 hours rehearsal on sunday so plenty of time to get used to it before the gig on 6th Nov.

Good times ahead....hopefully.