Why become a member? ×

NBD - much headlessness

anzoid

The same day as the Hohner Jack turned up a Steinberger Spirit 4-string also arrived... So I now have a trio of headless basses as I picked up a Spirit 5-string a month or so ago.
The bass budget for 2015 is now well and truly, utterly, completely blown... until I sell someting else... too many basses, so little time.

The Spirit 4-string and the Jack both have EMG Selects but sound totally different. The top end on the Spirit is pretty wild, very very bright and needs taming. The Jack is more mellow. The 5-string Spirit has Steinberger's own pickups and at a rough guess I'd say they have about half the output of the EMG in the 4-string, but the tone is very good, lot od growl to it.

Anyway, here's a piccy of the trio:
[attachment=196447:headless-basses-2.jpg]

I had a Jack 5. Sold it because the neck was too chunky for my liking. I now have a B2AV with similarly chunky neck but that's a backup bass, the small size and ability to be quite sanguine about standing it up in a corner being very useful.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1437148325' post='2824052']
Had a kingbass, and after 12 months I decided the headless thing wasn't really for me...but I still fancy a jack
[/quote]

What Sir wants is a Hohner B Bass, which is a Jack with a head on. Personally, I think headless is great.

I sold a Jack a couple of months ago, it was a nice bass. Nicer than an SR506 which I paid about the same for, but not nearly as nice as the Ibanez BTB 456 which has ended up replacing it, but then that cost nearly double what I sold the Jack for.

I really liked the normal body but headless thing, but the Jack is double ball end strings and there isn't much choice of strings any more. I've got flatwounds on the BTB and I'm pretty sure you can't get them for a Jack.

Status do DBE strings in round, flat, half-round, and nylon-coated. Plus there's someone who sells adaptors, lengths of brass bar with holes with grub screws in which hold the strings at the headpiece end. Just search on That Ebay for "Steinberger String Adapter".