Why become a member? ×

JV Precision Bargain? Thoughts?

Very cheap if indeed it's right. No stamped plate. Can't quite see that it has a raised A pole like my 57 so, presume it's a 62. 62 JV maple necks (I think) don't have a walnut plug either but the 57 does, which indeed mine does. So, I'd go for 62 if it's JV.

Don't think it's an SQ as I believe they had a walnut plug and a skunk stripe.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-JV-by-Fender-Precision-Bass-Made-in-Japan-1983-/221828822536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a6073608

It looks like a genuine JV a look at the wiring - should be cloth with a green cap - and the neck heel stamps would be the way to know. The neck plate missing is a shame - I doubt it's an SQ as they had non-reverse tuners, white scratch plates on sunburst generally and a skunk stripe on the back of the neck. Nice bass but the price reflects its lack of a serial number and I'd certainly make an offer that reflects this.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1437136170' post='2823893']
It looks like a genuine JV a look at the wiring - should be cloth with a green cap - and the neck heel stamps would be the way to know. The neck plate missing is a shame - I doubt it's an SQ as they had non-reverse tuners, white scratch plates on sunburst generally and a skunk stripe on the back of the neck. Nice bass but the price reflects its lack of a serial number and I'd certainly make an offer that reflects this.
[/quote]

I'd definitely make an offer if I wasn't so strapped for cash. Hope somebody on here gets it... Might get a chance of it at a later date then!

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1437129043' post='2823796']
Very cheap if indeed it's right. No stamped plate. Can't quite see that it has a raised A pole like my 57 so, presume it's a 62. 62 JV maple necks (I think) don't have a walnut plug either but the 57 does, which indeed mine does. So, I'd go for 62 if it's JV.

Don't think it's an SQ as I believe they had a walnut plug and a skunk stripe.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-JV-by-Fender-Precision-Bass-Made-in-Japan-1983-/221828822536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a6073608
[/quote]

Well it's definitely a '62 as '57's didn't have rosewood boards!

Looks good, headstock decal looks right and there would be more visible grain I reckon if it was an SQ, as well as the walnut plug as you say.

Worth a punt I reckon, and have a look for the neck pocket stamps and heel date.