Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot graphic.

Rayman

A quick question for all you Trace owners.

How do you have your EQs set? Smiley face? Flat?

I'm using my GP7SM200 with the pre set classic Trace sound and the graphic switched out altogether. I want to have a play with the graphic though and wondered how you all have yours set. I've tried the smiley face, mids flatish with the bass and trebles boosted, and I've tried it flat with all the sliders level just about the indent, but I can't quite get what I'm after. I want bright and punchy, but with some bottom end thump too.

I really should book the rehearsal room on my own, and spend an evening with it, without the rest of the band moaning that I'm fiddling about and holding them up.

Unfortunately, I think this is one you will have to work out yourself. Nobody on here has your ears, so it's difficult telling you how to get "your" sound. I had to do precisely what you are suggesting, and booked an extra hour at the rehearsal rooms, before the Band turned up. Even then, I still find myself making little "tweaks" at every Gig I play, because the acoustic qualities of the rooms tend to differ to some extent. I love my Trace, and when I finally got the sound I was looking for, nothing else seemed to come close. Enjoy the quest! :)

For my 7210H I use the preset auto Eq thingy. Though on occasion where I use alot of my B string I'll use my own Eq, which is the high pretty high, no mid and the low starting high but getting lower, if ya get me lol. Reason for this is the low B is too much for the little 2x10s to cope with hehe, so I have to lower that end of the Eq.

[quote name='Rayman' post='273127' date='Aug 30 2008, 01:34 PM']A quick question for all you Trace owners.

How do you have your EQs set? Smiley face? Flat?

I'm using my GP7SM200 with the pre set classic Trace sound and the graphic switched out altogether. I want to have a play with the graphic though and wondered how you all have yours set. I've tried the smiley face, mids flatish with the bass and trebles boosted, and I've tried it flat with all the sliders level just about the indent, but I can't quite get what I'm after. I want bright and punchy, but with some bottom end thump too.

I really should book the rehearsal room on my own, and spend an evening with it, without the rest of the band moaning that I'm fiddling about and holding them up.[/quote]

Yeh I know what you mean mate I'm still trying to fin the 'SOUND' on my Trace.

My band plays a bit desertrock like music (QOTSA, Masters of Reality) so I usually need a low sound. I play through a line6 x3 live which adds a bit of tube-like drive (due to a lack of money for a better amp).
Usually I have a boost in the low section (so my EQ balance 9'o clock to low)

Graphic EQ usually +6db on 50hz, +4,5 on 100hz, +3 on 250hz, 500 + 1000 hz flat, +2 on 2khz and +4 on 5khz
Cab is an Ashdown MAG410T

Bear in mind that there's very little point booking out a practise room and fiddling with the sound on your own. As soon as you get in a full band situation there'll be drums and guitars competing with the frequency spectrum and that previously immense tone will get muddied up with sounds from the other instruments. If you want a cutting yet deep bass tone to play with your band, you need to develop that while playing with your band.

[size=5][font="Impact"]REVELATION[/font][/size]

I rehearsed last night with the band, and decided to try the afore mentioned sad face on the graphic, boost the mids etc. Awesome sound, instantly!! I'm just knocked out. I'd tried all kinds of settings, but never got what I wanted from the amp, to the point where I put it up for sale thinking I'd never get what I wanted. A couple of pointers from you guys and I've got the perfect tone, the Norman Watt-Roy punch that I was after.

Thanks to all the above comments, it was, needless to say, very very useful in the end.

Anyone else with a graphic they can't suss out, or get the sound they want from, try the sad face, not the smiley face I expected to use. Boost the mids, the mids are your friend.

So between the Lakland DJ, Fender Jazz and the Trace, I've all of a sudden got the sound I wanted live, in spades.

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='Rayman' post='277583' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:16 AM'][size=5][font="Impact"]REVELATION[/font][/size]

I rehearsed last night with the band, and decided to try the afore mentioned sad face on the graphic, boost the mids etc. Awesome sound, instantly!! I'm just knocked out. I'd tried all kinds of settings, but never got what I wanted from the amp, to the point where I put it up for sale thinking I'd never get what I wanted. A couple of pointers from you guys and I've got the perfect tone, the Norman Watt-Roy punch that I was after.

Thanks to all the above comments, it was, needless to say, very very useful in the end.

Anyone else with a graphic they can't suss out, or get the sound they want from, try the sad face, not the smiley face I expected to use. Boost the mids, the mids are your friend.

So between the Lakland DJ, Fender Jazz and the Trace, I've all of a sudden got the sound I wanted live, in spades.[/quote]
Brilliant news!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='277595' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:32 AM']...a Jazz might not be for me :)[/quote]
I thought that until I wired the pups in series a la Precision with a series/parallel switch. It's not a precision, but it's much more punchy. And only one volume control to hit when your hand is flailing.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='277607' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:43 AM']I thought that until I wired the pups in series a la Precision with a series/parallel switch. It's not a precision, but it's much more punchy. And only one volume control to hit when your hand is flailing.[/quote]

I put some Fender pick ups into my Punk bass last night sound awesome at a glacing listen but I didn't get long because we were in sound check so that might be the way forward

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='277632' date='Sep 5 2008, 10:09 AM']Sorry mate I was speaking to Rayman as he's just round the corner from me in Stockport[/quote]

Cheers Steve, I might take you up on that. Trouble is, I might end up leaving with one of Your DeArmonds :) .

If you watch the vid for "Spread It" by the Blockheads on you tube, there's a few frames (if you pause it) part of the way through of Norman next to his amp, and a good shot of the graphic, mids boosted, but more of a peak in the mids, rather than a curved sad face.