Why become a member? ×

USA P-bass help

JJW

I bought an american p bass at the weekend and I'm sure it's real but in no expert and I want to just confirm. The serial number is z2052250 and I don't know how to upload pics so let me know what ones you need to see and I will find a way of getting them up.
Thanks

Your bass is an American Standard made in 2002. The "z2" at the beginning of the serial number denotes this.
As long as the neck is still attached to the original body (which should be string through), you'll be gravy!

Edited by miles'tone

It's a string through, so does that definitely confirm it?
Also could you give me an idea of how much it's worth: it's a sunburst with maple neck with a few paint chips. And couple of small dents on neck.

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1436742697' post='2820433']
I don't know how to upload pics so let me know what ones you need to see and I will find a way of getting them up.
Thanks
[/quote]

Your best bet is to stick them on Photobucket or similar and then link to them.

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1436742697' post='2820433']...I don't know how to upload pics...
[/quote]

Using the BBCode link supplied by an external photo account such as PhotoBucket, Imgur or ImageShack is a good idea; the photos are better presented and it uses no BC server space. I use Imgur (it's free...); here's what it looks like (the correct link for Basschat is in green...) ...

This is the link to use from Photobucket ...

Others are similar. Hope this helps.....

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1436743838' post='2820439']
Also could you give me an idea of how much it's worth
[/quote]

I had the exact same model/colour/neck/year as the bass you have here. I sold it on this forum in March, you could get an idea of the value by searching through the basses for sale section. I once asked if anyone knew the value of an item I owned and the post was removed without any kind of notification from the moderators. Another way is just to look on a few different sites and get a feel for the different prices people are asking for. I ended up selling mine at a low price because I needed the money in a hurry!

Thanks for all the help, the picture business seems complicated to me even though it probally isnt. Also how do you adjust the truss rod, do you have to have the special fender tool or is there another way?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1436860889' post='2821382']
You can use a regular 3/16 Allen key but the fender tool is waisted allowing you to turn the nut at an angle
[/quote]

I bought myself a set of decent allen keys from B&Q
Make sure you get some nice Chrome Vanadium keys
Mine have the waist too - as Geek99 says, you can angle the key

There's much advice on here, and elsewhere
But take it slowly. I've heard luthiers talk of no more than 1/4 turn every hour or so
Good luck

PS. I got a copy of the Haynes style Fender Bass manual
It's got advice on maintenance in there - good read too