Why become a member? ×

Bruce Rowland passes

4-string-thing

I've just heard that Bruce Rowland, the drummer with Joe Cockers Grease Band, Fairport Convention and Ronnie Lanes Slim Chance, has passed away today.

Bruce was a great drummer and by all accounts a lovely bloke. My thoughts are with his family and friends, he will be sorely missed by every Fairport fan.

This is probably his best known work, though he played countless sessions and is probably on at least one record in all our collections!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk&list=RDbRzKUVjHkGk

Edited by 4-string-thing

Dave Pegg's comments on The Faiport's website:

[color=#006400]It is with heavy heart we report that former Fairport drummer Bruce Rowland has passed away following his battle with cancer.

Peggy - "Bruce Rowland was a lovely man and a great drummer. He saved the Rising for the Moon album recording sessions by joining us after Dave Mattacks left. His playing and "feel" for music was superb.

"His track record is remarkable. Playing at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo with The Guards band, teaching a young Phil Collins the drums, doing the recording sessions for "Jesus Christ Superstar" - for a fixed fee rather than accepting a royalty (something he always regretted) - and playing at Woodstock with Joe Cocker. Helping Ronnie Lane out on his circus tour and his great work with Fairport .

"When we split up in '79 he married Birgitte Swarbrick and they moved to Denmark.

"For the last 25 years he and his partner Barbara have lived in Devon. They were married at Rowcroft Hospice in Torquay soon after he moved there suffering from cancer.

"I spoke to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago when I heard that he was terminally ill and I was scared to make the call. Bruce said - "No tears Peggy. I've had a great life and have wonderful memories. This hospice is the best hotel I have ever stayed in and the staff are wonderful. No tears".

"We will miss you Bruce." - Peggy[/color]