Why become a member? ×

Listening to and Playing music

Bullet-Rule

Hi, I've not been here for a while but I thought I'd visit. I have a bit of an issue at the moment, and others may feel the same too, so here goes:

I listen to mostly metal and hard rock: Megadeth, Metallica, Maiden, etc, and I absolutely love listening to it. Now, when it comes to playing it, I just don't get the same joy out of it. It's the same if I write my own metal song.

I don't listen to funk or blues, but often, that's what I enjoy playing. For example, I just love to funk out or improvise over the blues scale. Yet I wouldn't usually listen to this stuff.

Anyone else have this problem? I feel it's because the bass is more prominent in the latter genres, but not so much in metal (Ok, Maiden and Megadeth may be exceptions
What do you guys reckon?

[quote name='Bullet-Rule' post='272056' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:30 PM']Hi, I've not been here for a while but I thought I'd visit. I have a bit of an issue at the moment, and others may feel the same too, so here goes:

I listen to mostly metal and hard rock: Megadeth, Metallica, Maiden, etc, and I absolutely love listening to it. Now, when it comes to playing it, I just don't get the same joy out of it. It's the same if I write my own metal song.

I don't listen to funk or blues, but often, that's what I enjoy playing. For example, I just love to funk out or improvise over the blues scale. Yet I wouldn't usually listen to this stuff.

Anyone else have this problem? I feel it's because the bass is more prominent in the latter genres, but not so much in metal (Ok, Maiden and Megadeth may be exceptions
What do you guys reckon?[/quote]

I don't see it as a problem you enjoy listening to and paying 2 different types of music you're getting the best of both worlds.

I understand your problem, I am currently a massive fan of extreme metal but not a big fan of the bass lines, as you say a wee funky jam or what ever is more appealing.
Dont suppose it really matters though as long as you enjoy listening to and playing music in some form or other. You can always adapt playing as well, or use practicing one style to make you better over all, I know Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse like to play through Victor Wooten stuff as well as supper fast metal lines.

[quote name='d-basser' post='272075' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:57 PM']I understand your problem, I am currently a massive fan of extreme metal but not a big fan of the bass lines, as you say a wee funky jam or what ever is more appealing.
Dont suppose it really matters though as long as you enjoy listening to and playing music in some form or other. You can always adapt playing as well, or use practicing one style to make you better over all, I know Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse like to play through Victor Wooten stuff as well as supper fast metal lines.[/quote]

I'm lucky I love Punk and I'm sh*t works out nicely.

i know your feeling mate, i love listening to metal and heavy rock, but when it comes to playing or writing my own stuff i tend s to be rock!
it aint a problem or nothing its more of a blessing, because you get a wider variety of music in your life,
i listen ot jazz as well but i would never dream of playing it...

My problem is that I like too many styles/era's of music and want to play them all. I would either have to play in about 20 bands or find other musicians who have the same idea or are very understanding. I won't bore everyone with a long list but lets say it ranges from Buddy Holly to The Dead Kennedys and beyond.

[quote name='The Funk' post='272299' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:54 AM']Well, clearly for some people a little more needs to be said.

He's Metallica's current bassist. As well as all his metal gigs, he's also a very funky bass player.[/quote]

with a name like a bad scrabble hand!

I think it's great to listen to stuff you wouldn't play, as well as stuff that's outside your aural comfort zone cos it's gotta influence you SOMEHOW, even if it only shows you stuff you wouldn't do...aka, if waynePD listened to Jaco, he's then know not to play "portrait o' tracy" style stuff when he should be chuggin 8ths...or somethin

Does that make sense, or am I talking sh*te?

... i'm probably talking sh*te, ignore me! lol

My band plays proggy hard rock - I write all the instrumental aspect of the music so obviously I write bass parts I like to play - but playing bass alone I do like to try & play jazzy stuff, funky stuff & improvise a bit.

None of this features in my band's actual compositions, but it's always what comes out when we have a muckabout jam - "Jazz Odyssey" has become a standing in-joke, and one day we [i]will[/i] play an entire gig consisting of just that. Or so we keep saying... :huh:

My listening habits - or lack of - are making me a bit sad - I really have got to the point where I'm really not listening to recorded music [i]at all[/i], apart from my own stuff while I'm working on it. Bands & artists I love bring out albums & if they're lucky they get a cursory once-through, then put aside until I "have time" to listen properly - which of course I never seem to do. :)

On the other hand, I love live music of all types & genres, as long as it's played with passion or skill - preferably both. :huh:

Jon.

[quote name='d-basser' post='272081' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:00 PM']haha, I am trying to get a punk band going, doesnt quite fit the six string Dingwall bass aesthetic :)[/quote]

Hey! You could always thrash some chords out on that and really loosen some teeth! :huh:

Hope it comes together for you.

Cheers Grahame

I have always thought that bass playing belongs to every style of music.... but i think it is very prominent in funk..... ..for me , i play along to hip soul ,Zep, but when you fingerstyle funk, its one of those grooves that no other rythm can satisfy on the bass..IMHO