Why become a member? ×

What's the deal with Ibanez basses - educate me.... Sr6/700?

goonieman

Hi All,

I'm more of a fender/warwick guy, but am open-minded and intrigued about what I might be missing.

I've been googling and see there is this 'soundgear' stuff as well as the SR series, and as always with Ibanez, a whole new language of acronyms to learn.

If I was after a bass with tonnes of growl, flat radius neck, fairly thin neck, narrow nut, and active... would I go for the SR700?

I'm thinking Warwick Corvette or Thumb tones, but those Bartolini MK-1s are confusing me... dual coil soapbar? Is like a p90?
I prefer the thump of a MM pup - are these close?

Any advice welcome,

cheers

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1435255737' post='2807070']
If I was after a bass with tonnes of growl, flat radius neck, fairly thin neck, narrow nut, and active... would I go for the SR700?

[/quote]

Yes - I have a pretty rare Japanese SR740, covers this

[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000]Catalogue page here:[/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000]Link to Ibanez Catalogue archives:[/color]

[url="http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/index.htm"]http://www.ibanezrul...alogs/index.htm[/url]

[color=#000000]On the SR range, basically the higher up the number the higher the spec.[/color]
Some Prestige ranges also have the excellent Vari Mid EQ Pre Amp (my SR740) does - it's a great pre amp.

[color=#000000]I'd say the SR500 is a sweet spot in terms of value for money through the range.[/color]

Edited by bagsieblue

I find the bartolis a bit polite sounding and not that growly, although you can make them a bit more lively with the eq (which is generally bass / treble / middle or bass / treble / freq / q. I would agree the 500 is a sweet spot, I had a 505 (and you can get them really cheap).

On the other hand the Nordstrand singles are very growly. Can't really compare it to the Warwick as I have only played one, and it seemed a bit polite too.

I have a 1000 prestige and a 1605 premium and they are the basses I consider 'my basses'. I have a Squire PBass, a Fender Jazz and a Ray5 that I use for gigging in places I don't want to take the ibanez.

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1435257339' post='2807094']
I have an SR1205 and I have to say it's one of the best basses I've had the pleasure of playing/owning.
[/quote]

I have to say that these are very intriguing... the SR1200 looks awesome. All those tone woods, and the reassuring attention to the truss rod being titanium etc.

I have a lot of respect for Ibanez guitars, and am not surprised their basses are well respected around here...

Might need to take the plunge one of these days

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1435258206' post='2807107']
I have to say that these are very intriguing... the SR1200 looks awesome. All those tone woods, and the reassuring attention to the truss rod being titanium etc.

I have a lot of respect for Ibanez guitars, and am not surprised their basses are well respected around here...

Might need to take the plunge one of these days
[/quote]

Do it, I was reserved about them for years but I tried a few out at the bass gallery in Camden and was just blown away by how good they are. My intention when I walked into the shop was to get a Warwick but I walked out with the Ibanez!

I tried the sr 1200,1800 and 500 at the weekend and although the higher spec 1200 and 1800 had more tonal options and Nordstrand p.u.'s
i thought the 500 held its own and i loved the sound of the barts, i tend to play more reggae jazz and funk and found it well suited ...bargains to be had s/h !

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1435257593' post='2807096']
whoa, the SR740 looks lovely. I bet it plays like a dream.

Why is the SR500 in the sweet spot? Good preamp? 2 band?
[/quote]

It is lovely - could be persuaded to part with too !!!

SR500, much much better than SR300, SR400 for not much more cash.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1435260300' post='2807138']
It is lovely - could be persuaded to part with too !!!

SR500, much much better than SR300, SR400 for not much more cash.
[/quote]

All sounds good and promising - but the main question, do they growl? I see the mid-range sweep switch is handy for that?

I am an Ibanez and Warwick player....I used to own a SR605 in natural swamp ash and it was a beautiful bass, but is not a patch on the SR1205 that I currently gig.

If you like Warwick basses you will enjoy the mid-high range SR's (500 upwards), they are equally tactile, playable and well designed.

another thumbs up for the SR500, been playing it for about 7 years, wouldnt say it really growls but it does a really nice smooth tone, through to a Pbass type tone on the neck pup only and add a bit of treble and dig in a bit and you get a nice attack, i have been gassing for a 1405 or 1805 just cant bring myself to pull the trigger

I recently acquired a 506 for a very honest price after trying another specimen in a Denmark St shop some time back and having my personal conversion on the way to Damascus. I got mine on BC, an it's a 2007 model.

I agree that it could do better in terms of pick ups, but the quality of these instruments is just exceptional for the money. It's currently my main bass and I am very happy with it. Loads of sustain, great attack, the right amount of woody growl and super comfy. As of now, I believe I could only part with it to get an upper-level Soundgear.

Also, whoever designed the SR neck is a hero.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1435257305' post='2807091']
I find the bartolis a bit polite sounding and not that growly, although you can make them a bit more lively with the eq (which is generally bass / treble / middle or bass / treble / freq / q. I would agree the 500 is a sweet spot, I had a 505 (and you can get them really cheap).

[/quote]

Or, you know, overdrive them to 11: :)

https://soundcloud.com/ballpointmusic/ibanez-sr-506-guitar-rig

Edited by biro