Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Wal MK1 (very rare transitional model)
£3495

SpinalTap

A very early transitional Wal PB/MK1 from the early 80ies.
- PB serial number
- All the MK1 features
+
- paddle headstock
- Very rare top and back consisting of several pieces of laminated wood.
- (MK1 electronics +) the the volume knob also works as an off-knob.

There are only a few of these transitional models made, so I guess these are the pre-CBS basses from Wal. :)

This is a fantastic bass, that I enjoyed the past two years. But with the birth of my daughter, work etc. the spare time I have making music, I record at home, and only use my old Fender or a fretless bass.

No trades please.

Here are some pictures:

Edited by SpinalTap

Very nice, and possibly very rare :)

Looks like a shedua top laminate to me, but the additional laminate strips that run through the body from the neck right through to under the bridge aren't/weren't standard WAL Custom Mk1 construction, so this is certainly a bit of an unusual model!

GLWTS

Thanks for all the kind words. It is a special bass.

To answer some questions I received:
- It is quite light for a Wal. I don't have a scale to be exact. But feels like an average bass, compared to the heavy Wal's I had in the past.
- Worldwide shipping is no problem.

Edited by SpinalTap

To me, the top looks more like American Walnut then Shedua. I've owned both types and comparing pics, I think it's Am. Walnut. OP, should definitely take a pic of the cavity cover to confirm what type of facing this is. Electronic cavity pictures always great too!

i think its black walnut (american) , this face wood looks very fresh also , maybe the body is more recent ? , its possible to date the hardware from the number of screws holding the bridge down , from memory wal went from 7 down to 5 sometime in 1987 or 88 . cant remember exactly , but the wood , looking in the cavities is the best way . .personally i prefer the chromed hardware to the black .

Hi,

The bass is in very good condition, but after more than 30 years, I wouldn't call it 'fresh'. Will take some extra pictures soon.
This bass is also on hold for the next week. Also these laminated body's where only made in a very short period between PB-MK1.
Bridge has 7 screws. 2 at the top in the corners, and 5 at the bottom.

Edited by SpinalTap

• 2 weeks later...