Why become a member? ×

It Just Works !

spacey

OK, who has the oldest real road worn bass rig that you refuse to replace because it "just works"
Meaning that you have tried the light weight fangle new stuff and you just can not be without your old faithful rig.
Or have you flogged the new stuff you bought and hunted down what you had before.

Pics welcome, who has the boldest and oldest "it just bloody works" bass rig that despite its weight, its worth lumping.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1433321217' post='2789990']
OK, who has the oldest real road worn bass rig that you refuse to replace because it "just works"
Meaning that you have tried the light weight fangle new stuff and you just can not be without your old faithful rig.
Or have you flogged the new stuff you bought and hunted down what you had before.

Pics welcome, who has the boldest and oldest "it just bloody works" bass rig that despite its weight, its worth lumping.
[/quote]

I cant join in as im a happy Markbass fan, but I do however believe my old orange rig was something that cannot be emulated, standing in front of that was tone heaven.

I have a heavy rig and a light rig and the heavy rig is far and away superior to the lightweight rig..as was.
I've changed things around a bit so might need to revise that when I get out to gig my new light rig...but I'm
not thinking my revamped light rig will overtake the heavy one. I do think it will do a nice job though.

Like JTUK, I have a heavy rig and a light rig. This is my heavy rig and I love it. Its an old 1974 100w all valve PA head. The cabs I made myself, but they have Goodmans speakers from 1976 in there. I love playing with this rig, such a nice sound, but it is bloody heavy.

Jas

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1433321217' post='2789990']
...Or have you flogged the new stuff you bought and hunted down what you had before.

[/quote]

I had an [b]Acoustic 370[/b]- head only- when I was a new player, I'd been at it for about 3 or so years by then. Since then I've had the whole rig (called the [b]371[/b] when accompanied by its mate folded-horn 1x18 cab, the [b]301 Transducer[/b]), but sold it because of our basement being up a short-ish flight of old stone/mortar steps I didn't want to ruin.

Anyway I've come back upon one (damn the mortar), and I am looking forward to that sound wrapping around my head once again! Best and most character-embued bass head I've ever owned I think, and as soon as I get it back from repairs at the shop, it's off to rock-land...

Can't seem to get my attachment to attach... I'll try again later I guess.

[quote name='Count Bassie' timestamp='1433449508' post='2791244']
I had an [b]Acoustic 370[/b]- head only- when I was a new player, I'd been at it for about 3 or so years by then. Since then I've had the whole rig (called the [b]371[/b] when accompanied by its mate folded-horn 1x18 cab, the [b]301 Transducer[/b]), but sold it because of our basement being up a short-ish flight of old stone/mortar steps I didn't want to ruin.

Anyway I've come back upon one (damn the mortar), and I am looking forward to that sound wrapping around my head once again! Best and most character-embued bass head I've ever owned I think, and as soon as I get it back from repairs at the shop, it's off to rock-land...

Can't seem to get my attachment to attach... I'll try again later I guess.
[/quote]
I still remember my old 301 with great fondness, unfortunately I didn't have the 370 to go with mine.
My 'heavy rig' is the Peavey Alphabass All-valve head - which I have modified. Love the sound.
My Carvin BX500 comes pretty close in awesomeness but lacks the big bouncy push you get from all-valve.

This is our 'old-school' rig...

... a Hiwatt DR205 200w valve PA amp, with 4 x KT88 valves. Under it is 'Giggles', an HH 2 x 15 horn-loaded cab. Both are heavy pieces of kit, but as we play out only a few dates each year, it's not a big deal. In the photo, there's a mic on the cab; it was not found to be necessary after all. It was an outdoors gig, in a school courtyard; the bass travels very well in such a lieu.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1433520725' post='2791848']
I still remember my old 301 with great fondness, unfortunately I didn't have the 370 to go with mine.
My 'heavy rig' is the Peavey Alphabass All-valve head - which I have modified. Love the sound.
My Carvin BX500 comes pretty close in awesomeness but lacks the big bouncy push you get from all-valve.
[/quote]

That Alphabass is a neat amp, a friend of mine has one and won't sell it. Do dig my 301 though- what a sound that beast has. Playing a reggae gig tonight, running my little Trace AH250SMX into it. First outing with this one, the boys're in for a fun surprise...

Dig that 215 cab, Daddy-O.

I guess it all depends on the genre you play. Back in the day I'd play rock/metal through a heavy rig (peavey firebass 700 amp and matching cabs) and it was great for that, but it definitely pulled a few muscles transporting it. But now being older, wiser and now playing funk soul and jazz I find my lightweight setup incomparable (Markbass LM3, x2 Bergantino 112 cabs). The tone is just out of this world and volume has never left me wanting more in any situation. In short I don't miss my old heavy rig at all...

VIVA LA TECHNOLOGY!

The heavy is definitely an issue- moving gear becomes a logistical problem to solve, and requires some muscle. But last night it was worth it- reggae through the 301 folded-horn 1x18 was massive. Won't get that out of a small box, though that's mostly because of the design of the cab... the old folded horns did their own folded-horn thing, and the Acoustic is particularly colorful in its way. Not ready to give up my fridge just yet!

Same here; we were out yesterday animating (with other local groups...) the yearly village cycle race. Our 'tour bus' was packed chock-a-block, with a Martin PA, our HK monitors, two valve half-stacks for guitars and, of course, our Hiwatt DR205 and 'Giggles', my drums, spare console, cables et al. Here's our truck (old school, too..!)...

Once that's been loaded (at home...), then unloaded (at the venue...), then loaded again (for going home...) then unloaded (I need the truck empty for Tuesday's MOT...), a hundred kilos more or less becomes a bit less of a 'deal'. Our gear is indestructible, and well handled (we are 5; well, actually 4 fit young'uns and myself. I tend to wrap the cables, collect up the mics and pack away the cymbals..! :blush: ). I'd love to have a go with a Barefaced 6 x 10 (we have a Fender Bassman 2 x 15, with 600w of Beymas fitted...), but really, for us, the sheer weight of the bass gear is not much compared to the rest, anyway. Our sound is terrific; open air, no need for DI or such, just plug and play. We do suffer from lack of monitors; the sound outdoors is very different to that in our music room, and the foldback we have is only for our singer, out front, so we in the back-line have to listen up very carefully when we need 'guitar' clues in the songs, or when I'm counting 'em in (1, 2, 3, 4...).
No, lightweight is all very fine, and I wouldn't knock it nor mock it, but, as the title of the topic says: 'It Just Works..!'. Sometimes 'simple' is good, too.

Here's the set-up...

...and a closer, partial, view; our eldest on the right with his Mesa half-stack and our youngest on bass with Giggles...

I'm more than happy with a lightweight rig, I really don't miss the tone of valve gear for bass. My current setup gives me the sound I've been the most happy with since I started playing.

I couldn't do without valves for guitar though, I tried recently and was most unimpressed with the available lightweight options.