Why become a member? ×

Laney Nexus

joeystrange

I've had a 4x10 and 1x15 (I have the 15" for sale now) I used mine with a Hartke head and they were amazing. Really punchy, lots of trouser flapping bass but at the same time really clear. I just don't need that much gear any more of I'd still have it.

I think several members have used the fet and valve heads but I can't remember who

The trouble is that it's not the flavour of the month stuff and never has been but it is really well put together solid gear made from top notch components (Celestion Neos in the cabs and marine grade plywood construction)

Edited by Delberthot

I've used their cabs (4x10 and 1x15) with my usual rig (Peavey Classic 400, couple of overdrives, stainless steel strings). They sounded full and plenty loud, but compared to my Markbass they were way too harsh and brittle at the top end for my liking. I normally have the tweeter full on and even after switching it off it was really harsh! Very good cabs and very efficient though, and they look good on a stage! If you like that kind of sound you should be plenty happy though :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1432990585' post='2786844']
I've used their cabs (4x10 and 1x15) with my usual rig (Peavey Classic 400, couple of overdrives, stainless steel strings). They sounded full and plenty loud, but compared to my Markbass they were way too harsh and brittle at the top end for my liking. I normally have the tweeter full on and even after switching it off it was really harsh! Very good cabs and very efficient though, and they look good on a stage! If you like that kind of sound you should be plenty happy though :)
[/quote]

Maybe the amp not suiting the cabs? I never thought that the cabs were harsh in the top end. I had used the 4x10" with an Ampeg PF500 and it sounded terrible. Couldn't get enough of anything to make it sound decent but with the Hartke LH1000 and GK 1001RB II they were fantastic

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1433000066' post='2786946']
Maybe the amp not suiting the cabs? I never thought that the cabs were harsh in the top end. I had used the 4x10" with an Ampeg PF500 and it sounded terrible. Couldn't get enough of anything to make it sound decent but with the Hartke LH1000 and GK 1001RB II they were fantastic
[/quote]

You're probably right! It's all about the combination of gear and playing style. That's what makes it so much fun! The guy who owned the cabs used them with a Laney valve amp and no effects or processing at all and the tone was wonderful! Bass was an Ibanez BTB 675

Love my Nexus - Use it with a Barefaced Big Twin 2 or retro 610....or both. Full featured, modern tub amp. Fet channel and valve channel on the pre provides a huge amount of flexibility and some other nice touches on the front panel which are all really easily adjusted - switched on or off if you want them or not. 8, 4 or 2 ohms and 400w its a beast. Only challenge is getting valve grind out of it due to the power. A bit heavy but big transformers and nice glowing bottles. Good review here from dood, I dont have any experience with the cabs:

http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-11/reviews/laney-nexus-tube-head-and-nx810-cabinet/

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/andysalt01/media/11146249_10153273775403000_7148549081658949877_n_zpszdwcbacy.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/andysalt01/11146249_10153273775403000_7148549081658949877_n_zpszdwcbacy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Not a fan of the cabs at all, but the Nexus tube head is great and definitely underrated. Word of warning though, a lot of the heads have an issue with the temperature fault sensor thingy (pretty sure that's it's technical name...) and the head will shutdown on you. It's not that its overheating, its a problem with the actual sensor itself. Hopefully they've fixed it by now!

Edited by Dvisions