Why become a member? ×

The Funk Brothers and The Wrecking Crew

Byo

Hi y'all,

Just saw both "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and "The Wrecking Crew" documentaries about US session players back in the 60's.

Great stuff and really inspiring.

It is amazing to see that just a bunch of musicians made most of the music that was coming out of the US and the ups and downs associated with session work and musical trends.

Nice to see some special mention to the bass players too with James Jamerson and Bob Babbit in the Detroit scene and Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn (among others) in the LA scene.

As I mention above, really inspiring stuff that made me want to play more and more.

If you have not seen them, please do so! :)

Cheers,
Byron.

I remember going to see Standing in the Shadows in Chicago on the day it opened.

We went to the late afternoon performance before the big opening evening show.

Cinema was about 2/3 full and half of those people were musicians on the way to evening gigs with guitars and even small amps stashed next to them :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432856638' post='2785736']
Now search out the books, films and articles on the studio musicians at Stax, American, Malaco and Muscle Shoals studios.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1432895476' post='2785940']
Funk Brothers live...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUGsE_cH3BY
[/quote]

I saw them in London. Great show and just about the highest number of celebs I've ever seen at a gig!

Sitting near me were Elvis Costello, Paul Weller and Paul McCartney and that was just in the space of one small area on the balcony :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432910287' post='2786158']
Was that at the Festival Hall, 2000?

I got the last 4 seats in a row and took the family. What a great gig.
[/quote]

Yes, that's the one Chris. I bought a ticket at the last minute and got a cancellation in the balcony area just below the boxes so was looking right down on the stage.