Why become a member? ×

NBD Warwick Fortress

anzoid

Warwick Fortress One fretless from eBay arrived today :) It's a 1996 model and the condition is pretty much immaculate. Very very slight wear to the fingerboard that all but disappeared with the application of some lemon oil. Only marks are a slight dent near the straplock hole on the bottom end and some very minor buckle rash on the back that should polish out. Neck is straight and true and the sound is monster. Never had an ebony board before on a fretless and have to say it is rather nice. Happy :D

Actually, forgot to ask - anyone know what the finish is on these and how best to take care of it? And also... welll, I'm a Schaller straplock person and this has inset Dunlops - anyone know of a converter to turn inset Dunlops to Schaller buttons?

[attachment=193009:warwick-fortress-6.jpg]

[attachment=193010:warwick-fortress-2.jpg]

Edited by anzoid

verb - thanks for the advice on the finish. Damp cloth it is :)

roman_sub - I saw this one about an hour after it went live, at about 2:00am 'cos I couldn't sleep. Even at that time it had 2 watchers and by the morning there were 4. I knew I'd probably need to act fairly quickly if I wanted it. Pinged a message to the seller with a couple of questions and when he replied bought it on the spot. Came really well packaged up in a decent semi-solid gigbag - all credit to the seller on that one. Been after a good fretless for a while that wasn't a jazz bass but that had a narrow neck. Hesitated a bit because was wanting lined but thought I could probably cope with it... Stuck some new strings on it and popped a battery in for the actives and very pleased with the result. It has a brass nut which makes a difference to the open string sound compared to my other basses, but nothing I can't get used to. Overall, well happy.

Brilliant stuff! I actually have late 80's Warwick streamer unlined fretless, which is a gem, so I figured this one would be a great instrument, especially at this price point (I don't want to side-track your NDB thread, however). My lazy plan was to see if I could snipe it at below BIN price, but I think you did very well, a killer find, and lucky for my wallet too :-)

I figured it might attract some interest so BIN was the only way to be sure :)

Gigged it today - just wow - so sweet playing up the neck and real growl hitting the low notes. I think I'm in love. Playing through a GK MB500 with a 2x10 it had plenty of presence though the output is on the low side compared to my EMG equipped Stingray copy and Yamaha 5er - just had to turn it up a bit more :D. Still, was one of those moments where you think "finally, the sound I've been looking for". Only taken 25 years... GAS may well be sated... for the moment at least.

Nice catch!

No need to wax with that finish, just a simple wipe with a cloth will suffice. Don't wax as it discolours the finish.

The recessed strap locks are no easy solution to reverse, plugging and redrilling would be the only way I think, I know of no converter as such.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1433093554' post='2787774']

The recessed strap locks are no easy solution to reverse, plugging and redrilling would be the only way I think, I know of no converter as such.
[/quote]Having had recessed Dunlops, I can confirm that this is the way forward. However, why not give the Dunlops a go? The recessed route allows for a much bigger balance area if you stand the bass on the floor and a more 'normal' strap position (i.e. next to the body, rather than perched 1/4" from it).

The Dunlops seem to be OK... it's just that all my other basses have Schallers :D Having said that, the Fortress needs a shorter strap length to be at the same position as the others because the bottom straplock hole isn't centered - it's about three inches to the left of the centreline if looking from the front. So my one strap fits all thing wouldn't work anyway. I think I'll learn to live with it :)