Why become a member? ×

Refitting strings?

landwomble

Hi All,
Does anyone have strong feelings about whether it's a good/bad/indifferent idea to refit strings you've removed from the bass?
I'm tempted to practice fitting shielding and maybe a PU upgrade on my cheapo deko short scale P bass that I bought on a whim and am trying to get my daughter interested in using - as it's brand new, the strings aren't worn at all.
Is it seen as a bad thing to remove the strings, tinker and then refit later?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1432643935' post='2783480']
I don't see a problem with it. I don't change strings every time I want to tinker with a bass - would make it an even more expensive hobby, and throwing out perfectly good strings is just a waste.
[/quote]

Agreed. Replacing the strings every time you took them off has never occurred to me; to my mind it's common sense to put the same strings back on unless there's something wrong with them. I'm happy to string leave the same strings on a bass for years at a time. I should probably buy flats.

If you mess it up, or need spares, I have a (free!) spare set of strings removed from a HB shorty P (assume that's what you have?). Never been used, I put flats on everything., I'll never use them. Been playing mine all week, Fender P is sulking on the wall!

If you get inside it and the wiring looks a bit weird with only one wire to the pup, it's because they are screened wires. It looks like the second pickup end is not connected to anything.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1432642655' post='2783464']
Hi All,
Does anyone have strong feelings about whether it's a good/bad/indifferent idea to refit strings you've removed from the bass?
I'm tempted to practice fitting shielding and maybe a PU upgrade on my cheapo deko short scale P bass that I bought on a whim and am trying to get my daughter interested in using - as it's brand new, the strings aren't worn at all.
Is it seen as a bad thing to remove the strings, tinker and then refit later?
[/quote]

I've done it countless times, for the same reason you mention or other kind of work on the bass. I have removed flats and stored them, just to be fitted later on another bass, as flatwounds is a kind of string I only ever want once in a while...

I haven't noticed any problems.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432668047' post='2783834']
I've done it countless times, for the same reason you mention or other kind of work on the bass. I have removed flats and stored them, just to be fitted later on another bass, as flatwounds is a kind of string I only ever want once in a while...

[/quote]

+2 Myself also. Sometimes strings become kinked or damaged - but unlike an electric guitar, bass strings tend to survive a switcheroo quite well.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432668047' post='2783834']

[/quote]

+3

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1432661937' post='2783730']
If you mess it up, or need spares, I have a (free!) spare set of strings removed from a HB shorty P (assume that's what you have?). Never been used, I put flats on everything., I'll never use them. Been playing mine all week, Fender P is sulking on the wall!

If you get inside it and the wiring looks a bit weird with only one wire to the pup, it's because they are screened wires. It looks like the second pickup end is not connected to anything.
[/quote]

A spare set would be excellent, actually if you're sure that you're not going to use them? Happy to pay postage!