Why become a member? ×

Finding a keyboard player!

Harlequin74

We had a great. He didn't use his left hand, no bass notes. So he didn't get in the way. Said his left hand was for smoking and drinking, his right for playing. He thought most keyboard players got in the way. He wouldn't just hold chords on in string sounds in originals, he just wouldn't play if he thought it didn't need it. He would listen to what the gtrs were doing and dance around them, musically. Also he was a genius. Unfortunately he got ME/CFS and packed it in, I tell him he's a lazy bastard and just can't be arsed.

We replaced him with a Roland gtr synth as we knew we couldn't find another player like that so one of the gtr players just puts some synth in when needed.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1433152126' post='2788204']
How about putting an ad in the local music shop (the one by the station in Tonbridge or, if it still exists, JB's in T Wells)? Failing that, how about an ad in the Courier? :)
[/quote]

Local lad eh? All good thoughts, thanks!

I'll add to the list of features a good covers/functions band keys player must have

5. The ability to determine which part out of the many that might be on the recording is most important
6. The ability to change sounds within a song correctly
7. The ability to make swift sound changes between songs, even if this means a set list tweak request
8. The ability to not play a bad chord during a keys only intro or outro , and get the timing right if it is a keys intro
9. The ability to keep off the left hand and not play conflicting cabaret style basslines

Easy, one round every corner

Sounds, sounds sounds. If you can't get that...and keys date really really poorly, IMO, ..
then it isn't a position you can recover from.
And if the sounds weren't there, I'd really worry about the rest of it, especially if they didn't know
how far off the sounds were.