Why become a member? ×

Hello!

karlthebassist

Hi. Just joined the forum yesterday and its very cool! Sould have joined years ago.
Lets see...
Live in Peterborough :) and play bass. My main band is a 10-piece soul/r&b band - the Cactus Club which is fun, but barely gig at all because people are always away or something. The perils of large bands. I also play acoustic with a lad and we do pubs and open mic things. All covers sadly - but that seems to be all I can find.

This is all you're interested in anyway :huh: - GEAR

[b]Mark Bass CMD 103 H [/b]amp. Its lovely - but sadly has to go for transport reasons, will stick with Mark Bass though because they are awesome, just need something smaller.

[b]Fender MIM P-Bass[/b] with Basslines active pickup and Badass II bridge. I shall soon be fitting the J pickup to it also and a battery door - but haven't had the time yet
[b]Fretless Squire MB4[/b] my first bass, but I still play it from time to time. Has one working pickup - a Fender J
[b]Aria Pro II CTB 4 String[/b] P/J with odd active circuit. Its rubbish really but fun. Needs some TLC - again, when I have time
[b]5-String Peavey throughneck[/b] Had this for ages, don't know what its called. Has bubinga wings and sounds pretty smooth
[b]Ibanez EWB20WNE Acoustic Bass[/b] This IS lovely
[b]Yamaha BB 5000A 5-string[/b] in fact, doctor_of_the_bass (aka Nick) will recognise this one...

Various effects and stuff. I don't really use them at the moment because I have no interesting band to use them in!

As for music - Jazz, funk, blues, rock, electronic, electronica, soul, r&b - lots of things.

Welcome! Peterborough does have some soul then!!

Gigging with a 10 piece sounds a bit of a nightmare but I bet the band sound fantastic together. Slipknot manage just about with 9, though they sound like a bowl of hate

ped

[quote name='ped' post='267814' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:14 PM']Welcome! Peterborough does have some soul then!![/quote]

Whoa steady on Ped, you'll get us an undeserved reputation!

Welcome Karl, the Peterborough contingent is growing slowly now...

[quote name='ped' post='267814' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:14 PM']Welcome! Peterborough does have some soul then!!

Gigging with a 10 piece sounds a bit of a nightmare but I bet the band sound fantastic together. Slipknot manage just about with 9, though they sound like a bowl of hate

ped[/quote]

Haha. Yeah it does sound fantastic - when it works. Thing is, we're all like 20-24 sort of age, apart from the drummer who's 68 and the keys whos in his late 40's, and people are always away or at uni or something. which i really anoying. but hey ho - have to start somewhere! im just looking forward to having a few more years playing under my belt - ive kind of hit a low spot at the moment :)

Wahey!

Hello young Mr D!

Good to have you here! Actually Peterborough is an area famed for its bassness..let me extrapolate (ah, thats better!)

1. I was born here! Most important of course! Heheh!
2. Rex Gates (who plays in the band with Karl) who grew up locally was one of the very first bass guitar players in the 1950's.
3. Colin Hodgkinson was born here, still lives locally (near Karl funnily enough!) and took up bass guitar having been influenced by Rex!!!

I think the Peterborough Contingent will be getting together soon for a mini-bash - not sure where yet, but its on the cards! (this is currently in the `good idea I've just had' stage of development)

Current members:

Fosk, Muppet, Charic, Steve Valentine, Karl and some poser or other! Anyone else local - please add to the thread!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='268434' date='Aug 23 2008, 01:18 PM']Wahey!

Hello young Mr D!

Good to have you here! Actually Peterborough is an area famed for its bassness..let me extrapolate (ah, thats better!)

1. I was born here! Most important of course! Heheh!
2. Rex Gates (who plays in the band with Karl) who grew up locally was one of the very first bass guitar players in the 1950's.
3. Colin Hodgkinson was born here, still lives locally (near Karl funnily enough!) and took up bass guitar having been influenced by Rex!!!

I think the Peterborough Contingent will be getting together soon for a mini-bash - not sure where yet, but its on the cards! (this is currently in the `good idea I've just had' stage of development)

Current members:

Fosk, Muppet, Charic, Steve Valentine, Karl and some poser or other! Anyone else local - please add to the thread![/quote]

Oh yes Sexy Rexy - he's a damn fine drummer - havent actually heard him play bass yet. You going to be at Colins gig in castor Oct 4th, Nick? Back Door and solo stuff - should be good!

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='270658' date='Aug 26 2008, 11:24 PM']isn't peterborough near lincolnshire or in it...

sorry i never took geography at school... if so that means i'm fairly close by and would love to come to the bash...

:)[/quote]

Whereabouts in Lincolnshire are you mate? The southern part is very close to Peterborough, the northern bit ain't!

Nick, isn't Fosk 'Thedontcarebear' on here or am I getting our forums mixed up...

He is!!!

Meant to add, - young Chris from Angryman is also local - he needs to take a spare bass to gigs - if he's reading this!!! Bless him - superb set at the beer fest but his A string went down... great turnaround tho!

Karl - not sure about Colin's gig yet - think I'm gigging that nite. Rex is an awesome bass player - really very good - one of my unofficial `bass teachers' when I started out.

Am looking at perhaps organising something bass bash-wise for early '09 - got a very busy autumn coming up at the Key Theatre etc.