Why become a member? ×

Why online comparisons fail

Happy Jack

This guy is clearly a pretty decent player, is trying to help other DB players, and has made the effort to put together a careful and informative comparison of three types of strings.

https://youtu.be/vIrKfQ33E2w

I am absolutely NOT having a pop at him or taking the p***, far from it.

But by the time his comparison has passed through his recording device, up to his YouTube, down my broadband, and through my soundcard into my sound system, in truth I can hear no difference worth mentioning.

I should point out that I am using a decent PC, an upmarket sound-card, and running everything through a very good hi-fi system.

I have no doubt that in reality there is a substantial difference to be heard ... he would hardly have bothered to upload it otherwise.

Other views?

Not really, I totally agree. Basing a decision about purchasing an electric bass (for example) on a YouTube performance is equally a waste of time for exactly the same reasons - too many parameters and too many differences or deficiencies in audio equipment to make an informed decision. Though I do understand that some people have little else to go on if impractical to compare instruments/gear in meatspace.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429451815' post='2751463']
Not really, I totally agree. Basing a decision about purchasing an electric bass (for example) on a YouTube performance is equally a waste of time for exactly the same reasons - too many parameters and too many differences or deficiencies in audio equipment to make an informed decision. Though I do understand that some people have little else to go on if impractical to compare instruments/gear in meatspace.
[/quote]

Very good point. I don't play DB, but I was wavering about going to see a bass I fancied the look of purely because the few 'demos' available on YouTube were seriously underwhelming tonally.

I'm also pretty sure electric bass strings wouldn't sound that different squeezed through t'interweb if they were all, say, roundwounds. The difference for me is the feel, the continuity of tone up, down and across the neck, reliability and longevity.

I think I'm going to go and see that bass tomorrow...

Im not sure ive heard plenty of good video's. I think the main problem for that video was it was the actual slapping noise in that kitchen made it probably harder to hear the difference, if he was just plucking away there would of been a more audible difference.

Everyone sounds slightly different in playing anyhow so in a comparison i like to also hear there spoken opinions.

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429535151' post='2752327']
Slightly off topic here, but what really grinds my gears with many online comparisons is the demonstrators belief that bass players only slap and play with plectrums...
[/quote]

And also that it's necessary to play a dozen notes a second. I'd prefer to hear some sustained, fingerstyle notes so you can actually get some bearing on what the bass actually sounds like... I suppose really a better demonstration would be to record the bass being played in a band situation so you could get an idea of it [i]in concert.[/i]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429535277' post='2752329']

And also that it's necessary to play a dozen notes a second. I'd prefer to hear some sustained, fingerstyle notes so you can actually get some bearing on what the bass actually sounds like... I suppose really a better demonstration would be to record the bass being played in a band situation so you could get an idea of it [i]in concert.[/i]
[/quote]
That and the protracted chordplay and tapping beyond the 12 fret.

Edited by ianrendall

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429536246' post='2752348']
Rumour has it there could be as many as 24.
I still think they are meant as spares for the first five frets.
[/quote]

Ibanez do a [b]30[/b]-fret [b]fretless[/b]!! http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page15.php?year=2015&area_id=3&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=57&color=CL01

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429535151' post='2752327']
Slightly off topic here, but what really grinds my gears with many online comparisons is the demonstrators belief that bass players only slap and play with plectrums...
[/quote]

Which bass demos show a bass played with slap and plectrums...? Slap and its many forms I accept is overdoene, but plectrum. Could you show me?

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1429539412' post='2752390']

Which bass demos show a bass played with slap and plectrums...? Slap and its many forms I accept is overdoene, but plectrum. Could you show me?
[/quote]
No I can't because my claim was unsubstantiated in the heat of the moment in order to add weight to my argument and have a cheap dig at pick players because I can neither slap nor use a pick properly and am just envious. 😎

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ibanez do a [/font][/color][b]30[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]-fret [/font][/color][b]fretless[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]!![/font][/color]
[/quote]

so they just uproot a tree and screw it onto a bass :o

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429540227' post='2752409']
No I can't because my claim was unsubstantiated in the heat of the moment in order to add weight to my argument and have a cheap dig at pick players because I can neither slap nor use a pick properly and am just envious.
[/quote]

That's ok, I've re read my post and feel that the tone came across as a bit arrogant - so sorry if it did. I was hoping that there are some demo videos where the bass player plays with a plectrum and doesn't just play four bars of dunk, dunk, dunk before defining a new epoch in bass playing with his or her fingerstyle / slap chops. I'll have to keep watching Does Homour belong in Music..LOL

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1429609912' post='2753056']

That's ok, I've re read my post and feel that the tone came across as a bit arrogant - so sorry if it did. I was hoping that there are some demo videos where the bass player plays with a plectrum and doesn't just play four bars of dunk, dunk, dunk before defining a new epoch in bass playing with his or her fingerstyle / slap chops. I'll have to keep watching Does Homour belong in Music..LOL
[/quote]
It's fine 😊
I think I misread it also. Let's hug.