Why become a member? ×

Markbass MultiAmp

MoJoKe

I think bass players fall into two categories when it comes to gear. There are those who like to use lots of tech and often use bigger pedal boards than most guitarists, then there are the players who will have a tuner and possibly a compressor, but will then mostly keep their rig nice and simple.

Given this review, it may surprise that I fall into the latter category. I don’t use lots of gear and I prefer to keep things simple, but I do also find myself being asked to do something in my function band, at a dep or in studio where I could have done with some distortion, chorus or a completely different rig to give a more valve-y overdriven or soulful sound. With my old setup that left me a bit exposed sometimes and I resorted to one of several multi effect pedals I have used over the years but with no great love, satisfaction or worse, a disappointing muddy or “digital” sound.

So to me, the MultiAmp represents a truly “All in One” head and effects rack which, with a choice of cabs, will allow me to turn up and create pretty much any sound/feel required.

The hardware

There are two versions of the Bass MultiAmp; I chose the mono version. In both cases the input is a single mono input. The mono version has a single power amplifier, running the same as a Little Mark III and all the standard Combo amps, providing 300w at 8 Ohm and 500w at 4 Ohm. The stereo version has [i]two[/i] of the above, and can also provide a choice of output settings to give a stereo output, a bridged mode providing 1000w at 8 Ohm, or a Bi-Amp mode.

The fronts of both the units are identical, but some of the menu options differ. From left to right we have a single mono input with a pad switch, allowing you to select between -6, 0 +6 and +12dB. Along the bottom row there are the same Gain, Low, Mid-Low, Mid-High, High and Master pots you would find on all Markbass heads. The only difference is they are infinite, with the levels of these shown by a ring of red LEDs, as the parameters can all be stored. Along the top row there are three amp model buttons, defined as “Solid State”, “Tube” and “Vintage”. There is an independent “Phones” level control and there is the reasonably sized monochrome LCD display. To the right of the display there is the power switch, a 3.5mm headphone out socket, an SD slot and eleven buttons for the menu system.

On the rear of both units is a “Speaker Out” section, a pair of left and right line outputs, with a pad switch providing -10 or +4 and a ground lift. The ¼” jack outputs are unbalanced, the XLR are balanced and these can be configured in the system menu to allow you to select the DI path between “End of chain, Post Amp EQ or Pre Amp EQ’. You can also configure the output level and whether the Cab Simulation is on or off. There is a USB port for the Win/Mac programming tool, a MIDI in/thru, and an effects send/return loop.

I have connected the XLRs to a desk and, unless I have missed something, the mono version provides the same output signal on each, where the stereo version will provide a stereo image and stereo effects.

Using the MultiAmp

The display is selectable between the lists of various presets available and, once a preset is chosen, a set of eight “slots” is shown, each of which can be turned on or off independently. The only slot that is fixed is Slot 8, which can only be used for the Cab Simulation. Every other slot can have [i]anything[/i] put in it, including multiples of the same effects. The only rule is you can only have one Amp (a bit obvious really!), but this can be [i]anywhere[/i] in the signal path making it incredibly versatile.

So, the process of building a customized patch starts with selecting the amp model and which slot you want it in. Using the scroll keys, find an appropriate slot and pressing the “Slot Select” button, after which you are presented with a choice of functions, the first of which is the amplifier. Using the amp model buttons you choose the amp type you want and each of these has a selection of amps (probably!) as follows:-

Solid State:
Big Bang (Markbass)
Little Mark III (Markbass)
T-Green90 (Trace Elliot)
RB7Hundred (Gallien Krueger)

Tube:
TTE 500 (Markbass)
Blue ’70 (Ampeg SVT Blue Line)
Red ’96 (SWR Redhead)
TWval115 (Ampeg B15)

Vintage:
Bassface ‘59 (US) (Fender Bassman)
UK120 (Orange OR-120)
JMayor (Marshall Major)
Sunny US (Sunn)

I say “probably” because there is nothing in writing anywhere on the Markbass website or in the documentation to support this but it’s probably a reasonable guess! You confirm your selection using the scroll keys and the “Enter” button, and then you use the standard level/tone controls to set it up as you wish.

You then do the same for any effects or functions you may wish to add to any of the other slots. The parameters for each slot can then be configured by selecting the slot and pressing the enter button. Some of the amps also have further options which are shown in the same way including, for example, the VLE/VPF filters for the LMIII/Big Bang and the “Colour” for the TTE500.

The effects currently available are:-

B-Tubemarker
B-Drive 21
T-Chorus
MB Chorus/Flanger
Ninethy Phase
Reverb
Delay
Volume Pedal
Noise Suppressor
Send/Return
Parametric EQ
MW Octaver
Super Synth
Compressore
Envelope Filter
Pitch Shift

This includes all the MB effects, a bunch of others, a volume pedal and the ability to patch and switch the effects loop.

The MultiAmp allows you to store up to five banks of 128 presets, 640 in total, which can also be saved onto an SD card to back up or have additional libraries.

There is now a Mac/Win programming interface available which I have been playing with today:-

[attachment=188582:Underbridg.png] [attachment=188583:Chorus Oct.png]

Like most it is fairly self-explanatory, with the eight slots taking most of the screen – not big on fancy graphics but all the controllability there, available and simple to use. It has a neat feature that you can drag and drop the slots if you wish to modify the signal chain order, though you will need to find yourself a Male A to Male A USB cable to connect to the MultiAmp, rather than the usual “printer cable” style, but I easily found a choice of lengths in Maplins.

In a live situation the MultiAmp can be controlled from the front panel or using MIDI (I don’t know any detail and don’t quote me, but I have also heard a rumour that there may be a dedicated MB pedal in development. The DVMark guitar version is already available on their website). The MIDI implementation is an area I have not yet done too much with, but the demo MultiAmp at the LGBS was configured with a Keith McMillan SoftStep, which facilitated patch switching, toggling effect slots, volume pedal, tap tempo and a mute/tuner. I already own a SoftStep which I use on my Behringer X32 desk, so am going to start by uploading the configuration MSL have given me and take it from there.

The build quality of the unit is exactly what you would expect from Markbass. This kit is built, like all other MB kit, for producing high quality professional sound and trust me, it is in a completely different league to any modelling multi-effects pedal I have ever used (and as said before I’ve been through a few!). The software is very quick with no latency at all that I can detect. It all feels very warm and natural and the amp models are incredibly high quality; it is all very quiet when your instrument volume is off. There is a high degree of controllability to all amps/effects, from almost un-noticeably subtle to utter madness.

The platform is very actively being developed; it is one of around six different models of MultiAmp if you include the guitar versions in the DVMark range and the list of features had already grown when the v2 firmware became available, including some additional effects and significant improvements to the MIDI functionality.

At the London Bass Guitar Show the MultiAmp generated a lot of interest. There was a mix of people who looked at it and either got it immediately, or said “nah, too complicated for me”. I do completely get both views, but….

While I would agree it [i]will[/i] take a couple of hours of sitting down and pre-configuring, I am not finding this at all difficult or complicated. There are those who will want to set up hundreds of patches and optional configurations but I won’t be doing that myself. I am already most of the way to programming a selection of basic patches for each of the amp models I know I will use, with a selection of useable effects in each.

So is it good value? If you are happy with one sound and no effects then possibly not. If you want the versatility of a choice of amps and a quiver of high quality effects, in a simple to use “all in one” rack mountable box, then I personally think it makes complete sense.

Though predominantly with studio based technology, guitarists have had a broader choice of similar multi-functional products for a good while now (the DVMark Guitar MultiAmp is proving very successful in that market too), but this is a different concept for many bass players. Having led the lightweight gear revolution, for which my back will be ever grateful, I see this as the next and very logical development.

Edited by MoJoKe

So useful to have all this listed in one place!

Thanks for the comprehensive review :)

I've spent a coupe of hours experimenting with one and am beginning to get the hang of it now.

Interestingly, to me anyway, I found simply using the SWR setting with compressor sounded so nice I found myself just using that for a while without adding other options - just a really nice core tone straight out of the box!

Found a great 'For the Love of Money' patch in the presets as well that was a lot of fun to use.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1428231957' post='2739318']
Interestingly, to me anyway, I found simply using the SWR setting with compressor sounded so nice I found myself just using that for a while without adding other options - just a really nice core tone straight out of the box!
[/quote]

I have found the very same! Conveniently each of the amp models has a "Flat" preset, so it is really easy to start building, but I have to agree that the simple addition of compressor to most of these results in great core tones. I particularly like, well, most of them really, but I agree with the SWR and I also really like the RB700 too... very smooth.

Brilliant review! The Multiamp makes so much sense and to be honest, on paper it looks like what I have been looking for for years!

My current rack system is a hodge-podge of pedals that I am trying to logically control, separate rack effects and preamp gubbins that can't adjust parameters on the fly. Even with out a lightweight amo in the equation it still weighs more than the advertised 5kg of the multiamp.

I am very interested in trying the S version - it could solve so many gear related problems I have. An end to my search???

I suppose the next question would be in choosing a pair of cabinets that would best suit the modelling properties of the multiamp.

Thank you for taking the time to review. Great to see a unit that is bass specific finally.

I took it over to my nephew last night for him to see. He plays mainly guitar now, but still does the odd bass gig (gear mad, he gigs with a ÷13 rig). He has played with a number of guitar equivalents, including the Kemper, and he was absolutely blown away by the MultiAmp. He was amazed at how "analogue" it feels, and in two ways - not like a modelling amp at all.

He thought the sound was warm and analogue, but more importantly how easy it was to quickly turn it on, twist a couple of knobs and dial in a great useable sound. He's absolutely right, and it is probably the most important thing I missed in my review!!

That's good to know! I'm keen to get my head round the stereo side of things.

In terms of the effects that usually are stereo, do the modulations all offer stereo staging and what options do the delays and reverbs have? (Ping pong, stereo tap, reverse / hall, room, cathedral effect types etc)

The manual doesn't seem to mention effect parameters - hmmm!!

Yeah, the manual [i]is[/i] a bit lightweight, I'm afraid I have to agree with you... however, I suspect this is because new firmware is on its way to support their new midi pedal ( http://www.dvmark.it/?/products/83/multiamp_midi_pedalboard), along with further enhancements.

My only foray into the "stereo" issue is that the delay effect definitely has a "stereo" parameter, which I used to see if my mono MultiAmp could support this. I have a day at home tomorrow and I'll hopefully have time to look further into this and also into the MIDI functionality..... I'll report back when I can!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1428431272' post='2741234']
Yeah, the manual [i]is[/i] a bit lightweight, I'm afraid I have to agree with you... however, I suspect this is because new firmware is on its way to support their new midi pedal ( http://www.dvmark.it/?/products/83/multiamp_midi_pedalboard), along with further enhancements.

[/quote]

Only 8.7" wide, that's pretty small really.

I understand that the KMi SoftStep 2 has more potential flexibility though - plus it's still a very cool pice of design :)

Edited by molan

I love my softstep (but I have the earlier one with square buttons). Its a bit of a bitch to program, but as you say, loads more potential, bombproof, and the backlit buttons are easy to see and look very cool on stage! I need to get it set up to control both my X32 desk and the MultiAmp, so wish me luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429998905' post='2757117']
This thing does sound great, I wonder if they have plans for a traditional multi fx unit?

The overdrive sounds are really good, I'd certainly think about ditching my pedals for one of these.
[/quote]

When you get to try one you'll want to ditch your whole rig for one... And I suspect the answer is probably not, as this is the future. An all in one single rack based solution...

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1430315157' post='2760178']
Every effect has a wet, dry, mix or level, and on quick glance the B-Drive 21 distortion specifically also has a Blend and Presence... Maybe others too, will check later!
[/quote]

Thanks!...and yes, it would be great if you could check it, there's no info I can see on the owners manual. Blend is quite important for my needs :rolleyes: