Why become a member? ×

Your Stones, Got My Tickets :)

blue

If this thread is about "your" (my) stones then I guess for me it's touring with them in 2007 on the bigger bang tour.

Obviously production-wise it was immense but I was never really a huge Stones fan however I couldn't help get a chill down my spine when the more popular tracks (jumpin' jack flash, brown sugar, sympathy etc) were rolled out and the tens of thousands of happy punters were bouncing around and clearly having the time of their lives.

On the first night of the tour I was chatting during the show with my crew chief who'd been touring with them for easily 15 years before then described them as "one of the most average Rolling Stones cover bands you'll see play live". I think that was a tad harsh on them but he's quite cynical having been on the road for almost 30 years now!
The stadium concerts seemed to lack any intamacy (obviously) but the tour ended with three nights at the (then newly opened) O2 arena which really ramped up the atmosphere and show.

(as an aside, I put a close friend of mine on the guest list for one of the O2 shows as she is a big fan. We subsequently hooked up and now we've been married five years and have two children together so I guess I've got Mick to thank for that!).

In my opinion I don't think they're the tightest, most proficient or technically amazing band but they're in their 70's and can put on a bloody good show when they put their minds to it.

One amusing story that my crew chief told me about earlier in that tour is that during one load-in someone from production walked around and handed envelopes with a nice cash present inside to the touring crew from a certain key member of the band.
When the other main key member of the band heard about it another round of envelopes with a nicer present inside becuase he wanted to out-do him!

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1428348914' post='2740495']
In my opinion I don't think they're the tightest, most proficient or technically amazing band...
[/quote]

They never have been - I think that's the whole point and is what makes/made them original and exciting. As someone said earlier, what seems to get forgotten is just what an incredible songwriting team The Glimmer Twins actually are/were. It's this strength, coupled with the ability to bang it out live with maximum attitude and without worrying overly about piddling details like timing, remembering arrangements or working out solos that got them where they are/were.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1428302526' post='2739966']

I've always taken the view that The Beatles & The Stones opened the door & Hendrix came along and smashed it off its hinges forever.

Not sure I'd agree entirely, but we definitely wouldn't have had Hendrix if it wasn't for The Animals.

Pete.
[/quote]

Exactly, now here's my point. Would The Animals gotten as big as they were if The Beatles hadn't opened The door?

Blue

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1428302526' post='2739966']
... we definitely wouldn't have had Hendrix if it wasn't for The Animals.
[/quote]

Going a bit Pete Frame for a minute:

Hearing about the Animals from Graham Bond, Giorgio Gomelsky (the Stones first manager) helped them out in their early days, recording some live material and getting them on a tour where they backed Sonny Boy Williamson.

The London 'scene' was very incestuous in those days; everybody knew everyone else and - in some cases - were prepared to give each other a helping hand. Quite apart from covering each others' material and nicking each others' riffs, the UK muso community of 1963-67 was remarkably tightly knit.

They all lived in the same village but there were only two mansions on the hill. The Beatles lived in one and The Stones in the other. Down from the hill came templates for performance and production techniques, favoured instrument brands, fashionable clothes, interview styles, politics, philosophy, band management strategies.

Those who came after the Stones and the Beatles went on to develop their own voices and to enjoy their own success. But those two bands are woven into the DNA of rock in such a way that even someone who has never really listened to them might be influenced by extension and at a distance. It's just one of those truths that can't be denied.

Edited by skankdelvar

Smack on as usual Skank and it may be noted that all of those incestuous British bands of the 60s were heavily influenced by the American blues, soul and country players and bands who, without a shadow of doubt, were a major influence on Hendrix.
I was led to understand that Hendrix even played with some of those guys on the Chitlin' Circuit before he "made it" in the UK.
Or am I wrong again? :rolleyes:

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428349951' post='2740511']Exactly, now here's my point. Would The Animals gotten as big as they were if The Beatles hadn't opened The door?

Blue[/quote]

Probably not... I think The Beatles (and the Stones shortly afterwards) showed aspiring British musicians that it was quite possible to play Rock, Roll, Rhythm & Blues [u]without[/u] pretending to be American or being slavishly 'authentic'.
That said, it may well have been Lonnie Donegan & the Skiffle movement that opened the door first, but they forgot to take the chain off.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1428351942' post='2740543']
I was led to understand that Hendrix even played with some of those guys on the Chitlin' Circuit before he "made it" in the UK.
Or am I wrong again? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sounds likely. Somewhere I have a Little Richard album that features one 'Jimmy James' on lead guitar. I bought it in the hope that it would be something like The Experience meets Little Richard.

It wasn't.

The guitar soloing was very much 'of its time' i.e. plinkplonktwangboing. Think I played it twice & left it to gather dust.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428350360' post='2740516']
Going a bit Pete Frame for a minute:

Hearing about the Animals from Graham Bond, Giorgio Gomelsky (the Stones first manager) helped them out in their early days, recording some live material and getting them on a tour where they backed Sonny Boy Williamson.

The London 'scene' was very incestuous in those days; everybody knew everyone else and - in some cases - were prepared to give each other a helping hand. Quite apart from covering each others' material and nicking each others' riffs, the UK muso community of 1963-67 was remarkably tightly knit.

They all lived in the same village but there were only two mansions on the hill. The Beatles lived in one and The Stones in the other. Down from the hill came templates for performance and production techniques, favoured instrument brands, fashionable clothes, interview styles, politics, philosophy, band management strategies.

Those who came after the Stones and the Beatles went on to develop their own voices and to enjoy their own success. But those two bands are woven into the DNA of rock in such a way as someone who has never even really listened to them might be influenced by extension and at a distance. It's just one of those truths that can't be denied.
[/quote]

[b]Awesome commentary Delvar![/b]

I was 11 years old in 1963 so that whole time period through the 60s hit me like a ton of bricks which I have never recovered from.

I think my 60 plus brothers will agree, you can read all you want about that period in pop, rock, r&b and blues and you should. However it gets back to the old saying, to really appreciate it, [i]"you had to be there"[/i]

My 60 plus brothers might agree with this; ever try explaining something musically or philosophically about the 60s to folks under 50. I mean anything even as simple as , [i]" hey you know where that riff came from?"[/i]. From my experience, it doesn't register, they are not interested and they don't care. And I get that, there are a lot of things about the 90s I have no interest in.

I'll ramble on, for example when my band plays [i]"Get Back" or " "Come Together" [/i]my performance is coming from a different place than the other members. I not only can play and sing the song, I understand the song and I believe my conviction to the performance is higher.

I don't take it too seriously. As my 27 year old son (pictured) told me the other day;

[i]"Dad, nobody gives a sh*& about tight horns anymore"[/i] :D

Blue

Edited by blue

It all makes sense even to the point where The Beatles had King Curtis open for them at Shea Stadium 8/23/65. That's a young Chuck Rainy on bass.

[i]"King Curtis and his band, opening for The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965. This time, [b]Chuck Rainey[/b] is holding down the low end."[/i]

Yeah, I was there, my Dad took me.

Blue

Edited by blue

Hendrix also played a few gigs with Ike Turner, as well as Little Richard, Sam Cook and backing up Tommy Tucker, [color=#3C3D3F][font=Arial, Verdana]Slim Harpo, Carla Lewis, Ironing Board Sam, and Nappy Brown for one tour.[/font][/color]

[color=#3C3D3F][font=Arial, Verdana]Sorry, I couldn't resist posting these:[/font][/color]

Edited by Jazzneck

I’ve got 2 tickets, 3[sup]rd[/sup] row of section 4. That is the yellow seats, second section up, and off to the right side as you look at the stage. So I guess that means I'll be on Daryl & Keith's side of the stage.

Edited by blue

• 2 months later...