Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Six 10 (610) owners/reviews/opinions?

smeet

i was going to go for a couple of these & have them stacked vertically for monitoring as I'm quite tall , But Alex said somewhere they are designed to be stacked Horizontally & it put me off , I would still be interested in hearing what they are like in the two different stacked positions.

I am 6'3 and sometimes struggle when a single cab is horizontally on the floor and I'm stood up. When I have both stacked, it is fine (to me). On the small gigs, I often vertically mount the single cab on one end. I think that Alex was saying that the cab works better horizontally so that the port is facing the floor and helps with low end, but I find there is still plenty of oomph when it is on it's side.

Then again, I'm not normally thrashing mine.

This is the default orientation:

Having the cab horizontal with the port on the side makes it sound biggest and fattest.

This is the alternate orientation for better audibility in boomy rooms or on small stages:

Turning the cab vertical like this changes three things:

1. It lowers the Hybrid Resonator's lower tuning frequency which counter-intuitively means you get a bit less bass.
2. It raises one of the 10"s away from the floor which means it gets less boundary reinforcement in the low-mids.
3. It raises the full-range 10" higher up which means if you're standing up close and are tall then you'll be at bit less far off-axis, so slightly better treble audibility.

Before Barefaced I used a vertical two 2x10" stack for about a decade - I never saw anyone else stacking their cabs vertically in all that time! If we'd designed the Two10 to be super accurate, maximum clarity etc, then we'd have made it to go that way around as standard. But having them sideways gave us extra fatness, whilst the crossover solves the dispersion problem you normally get from side-by-side 10"s. And it leaves the option of going vertical for when the acoustics or stage arrangement don't suit the shorter wider stack.

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1428916147' post='2745801']
I think that Alex was saying that the cab works better horizontally so that the port is [i]facing the floor [/i]
[/quote]
[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1428917887' post='2745823']
Having the cab horizontal with the port on the [b][u]side[/u][/b]
[/quote]

Whoops! And to think I own two of these..... :rolleyes:

EDIT - Alex - I wish you'd stop posting pics of these with the steel grills - it makes me go all wobbly and doubt my decision to go with the silver cloth look....

Edited by Huge Hands

Serial number 13.....first run at rehearsal tomorrow night probably gigging it in May

[url="http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/andysalt01/media/19084_10153273775088000_1708345995115863206_n_zps6lj2udnz.jpg.html"][/url]

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/andysalt01/media/11146249_10153273775403000_7148549081658949877_n_zpszdwcbacy.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/andysalt01/11146249_10153273775403000_7148549081658949877_n_zpszdwcbacy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Very much enjoyed this in rehearsal - although my frame of reference is limited against other 610s - i got it a bit growly pushing the amp a little and notice it has a much more vintage feel and sound to my BT2, but I found it felt a bit "bigger" across the range, and in super lows by comparison I didnt feel it quite had the authority of the BT2 but with super lows I'm talking about a sub - dont get me wrong, it still sounded good but as a direct comparison, that's how it felt.

I'll report back once its gigged in may - the band next door in our rehearsal room complained a little about the bass being too loud in our sound proofed room....