Why become a member? ×

Budget fretless conversion

Mr Thumb

Hello all. I've always wanted to own a fretless bass, but didn't want to pay too much money on one, just I case I decided it wasn't for me. Lurking in the back of my garage, I had a old cheap Musicman copy bass that I purchased from a local pawn shop some time ago. This became my practice conversion bass, so I wasn't worried if I wrecked it. I only used filler in the slots, and left the roundwounds on. The nut and saddles both had to be filed to reduce the ultra high action. It was a bit of a Frankenstein bass, but served a purpose, and did not cost me one penny. Moving on to the subject bass, I found a Ibanez EDB550 on Gumtree for sale quite near to me that I purchased for £120. After stripping it down and giving it a general service and clean up, I proceeded to remove the frets. At this point please bear in mind that I am not a Luthier and do not pretend to be one. All tools, gauges, radius blocks etc were made or modified from existing equipment and supplies in my garage. The frets were carefully removed using a pair of modified end cutters. The usual sanding and cleaning process followed. I filed the nut and the saddles and made a slight truss rod adjustment. A good friend of mine does marquetry and has a large selection of wood veneers. We found a maple sample that was the correct thickness to occupy the slot left by the fret, so I cut strips with a very sharp scalpel and glued them in. More sanding followed. The neck was given a wipe of lemon oil and several coatings of carnauba wax, then re-strung with some flatwounds. It sounds great, and I use it for a couple of tracks at rehearsals. I hope some of you may have found this useful. I'm sure there are many more who are saying "why the hell did you do that?" Well im no expert, just trying to save a few quid. If anybody has any constructive criticism, then please reply, and thanks for looking.

[quote name='Mr Thumb' timestamp='1426166518' post='2715133']...If anybody has any constructive criticism, then please reply...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Mr. Thumb...

Sorry, but no constructive criticism from me; in fact, no criticism at all..! Hearty congratulations, rather, on achieving a magnificent result, despite your modest claims regarding expertise. A model posting; thanks for sharing. Dare we abuse of an evident pun and declare 'Thumbs up'..? :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]