Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 75 Fretboard comparison Maple or Rosewood (video)

guitarbank

Video link:
[url="https://youtu.be/cYhzjrRxAFU"]https://youtu.be/cYhzjrRxAFU[/url]

Any good ideas or business? write us a message [email protected]

Here is "Fender Jazz Bass AVRI American Vintage Reissue 75 Maple vs Rosewood fretboards comparison"
Both bass guitars are made in USA and same time period.
No talking more Rocking!

[attachment=186169:jjbb.jpg]

That is an interesting vid as both basses seem to be 75RIs so the body wood (ash), bridge and pups/pots should be the same on both basses.

It would be interesting to see the neck swapped between the bodies to control for the wood itself...

Personally, I have always found a clear difference in tone between maple and rosewood boards as far as jazz basses and stingrays go.

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1426167286' post='2715144']Personally, I have always found a clear difference in tone between maple and rosewood boards as far as jazz basses and stingrays go.
[/quote]

I've noticed a difference, yes - but mostly in the feel. The maple tends to give more "buzz and clank" irrespective of the height of the action IME.

I'm surprised by the magnitude of the difference shown by the video though!

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1426166851' post='2715138']I prefer the maple neck version on this video. Unfortunately I own a rosewood version.[/quote]

I have four J basses of various types. Two are maple and two rosewood. There are differences, but nothing like this!

there are too many variables in a comparison between two instruments, especially a Fender. it cancels out any comparisons between rosewood or maple.. the only difference i have noticed between rosewood and maple is, maple has a little zing to the treble. Both woods have the same mid, bass tone depth imo. there is no doubt a difference. but its subtle.

Edited by bubinga5

Too many variables here. The strings on the maple neck jazz sound newer than the rosewood.
As someone who has monkeyed around with replacement necks and bodies ad infinitum, I've found that a dense and heavy body v lightweight and resonant body makes much more difference than fingerboard wood.