Why become a member? ×

Feedback on the Mix - Punk Content

JackieMoon

Hello fellow BC'ers.

My bands next EP is currently in the mixing stage before we get it mastered. We've tweeked it so far with our recording chap to a point where we think we are fairly happy. I wonder if you wouldn't listening to this rough mix of one song to see if anything obvious could be improved.

https://soundcloud.com/joeplaysbass/set-in-stone-mix-10

Any feedback welcomed, if punk-esque music isn't your thing just be polite ;)

Cheers, JM

Edited by JackieMoon

Like it - reminds me of my youth :D
Anyway,I'd say it just needs a bit of thickening up at the bottom end.
In other words make the bass, snare, and bass drum deeper and wider. Perhaps double up the bass tracks, pan them out a bit and put different compression on each, one with more bass boost...

I like it - it has that old-school second wave of punk feel about it, the early 80s stuff. The only thing I`d change would be either lowering the guitar slightly in the mix, or eq-ing out some of its mids, as the guitar to me is getting in the way of some of the vox. The rest I`d leave, unless going for a modern production (which I`m not too keen on with punk, makes it sound too "rock" for me).

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1426100550' post='2714435']
Like it - reminds me of my youth :D
Anyway,I'd say it just needs a bit of thickening up at the bottom end.
In other words make the bass, snare, and bass drum deeper and wider. Perhaps double up the bass tracks, pan them out a bit and put different compression on each, one with more bass boost...
[/quote]

I'd agree with Leon-ard on all that.
Like it as well :)

Good morning, Jackie...

Thanks for the warning, but I think, as an exception, I can be slightly more than simply 'polite'. I suppose it's all in the 'live' stage act, as, as punk goes, this is not really in the 'offensive' league. It plays through very nicely, even including the trick 'low volume' intro. It may fool some, of course; a nice retro touch. In general, I'd say that the mix is very close to 'spot on'. It would appear that 'lows' are not your thing, and you've certainly avoided the 'muddy' trap. Fine for a car radio, but a little more presence down below wouldn't go amiss on a higher quality system. Maybe the target audience don't listen on hi-fi, though; dunno. Looking up your band, it seems that I was wrong in hearing the 'clankiness' of a Rickenbacker. Not my favourite bass tone, I'll admit, but it fits in well with the genre, and has enough energy expressed to pass well. Is there a doubled, more distant, bass line towards the outro, or is it my imagination..? I also appreciated the 'baked bean can' tone for the guitar solo. Very well executed. Can I add a special 'thumbs up' for the short 'blast beats' interspersed by the drummer..? Tasty; a good, searing pulse going on, and continually interesting. Somewhat out of character, but all the more welcome, was the clarity of the vocals. Even I, deaf old coot as I am, could make out the unfolding story with little leaning forward; rare these days, and not, maybe, the hallmark of traditional punk. Still, it just goes to show that the style can be improved (one wonders by just how much, though...).
Altogether a good listen, with little to 'slam', just a tweak or two according to one's taste (or lack thereof...). Well done, all (... [i]and 'Yes, we'd like to hear more.'[/i]...).
Thanks for sharing.

[i](Now begger off and let me finish my crossword..!)[/i]

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I agree listening through on something with a bit more beef down low it could certainly use a few tweeks there!

There is indeed a slightly different bass line over the outro chorus, It's actually in the dusty end of the fretboard but needs to be a touch more prominent than it is now. I think the bass tone is also a bit clankier than recorded currently so might need toning down a touch.

We're all getting older and what with (trying) to appeal to a wider audience we have consciously steered away from the offensive side of things with the lyrics.

As we receive the other songs I will be happy to post them up here and of course the finished article when we get it.

Cheers.

Whoever has mixed it has done something to make the guitars appear extra 'wide', but it's a bit overdone so when you listen in mono they half disappear, and in stereo it sounds a bit overcooked - they are too far out of the soundstage imo. Maybe they've put them out of phase or something?

It sounds ok to me otherwise (i don't like the quiet intro though) but a touch polite generally. Could be dirtied up in the mixing/mastering stage so it's a bit more aggro.