Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM 15

timmo

I was looking at this item, thinking it would be nice to own. It costs.
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ashdown-ctm-15-15w-classic-tube-magnifier-bass-head/78749
Then i saw this.
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ashdown-dh-15-c110-drophead-15-15w-all-valve-combo/99209

Now i think it looks good,but £200 for the cab sounds a bit excessive. Is there a reason that it is so expensive, or do you need a special amp for a valve head? Can you use any cab with this? Surely there would be cheaper cabs that could be used just as well.

I see. Thanks. I still think £200 is excessive, but i suppose it saves some money on needing a special case for the head for storage. I am very tempted. Is it worth it just for a pracice amp? I do like the thought of trying out a vavle head without spending over a grand to try one.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1425489214' post='2707867']
I see. Thanks. I still think £200 is excessive, but i suppose it saves some money on needing a special case for the head for storage. I am very tempted. Is it worth it just for a pracice amp? I do like the thought of trying out a vavle head without spending over a grand to try one.
[/quote]

they are very nice little amps, i got mine with the separate cab as the head comes in a nice padded bag for storage.

andy

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1425489214' post='2707867']
[/quote]
It's not worth it solely as a practice amp as it goes plenty loud enough to gig small-medium venues with!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1425495856' post='2707955']
It's not worth it solely as a practice amp as it goes plenty loud enough to gig small-medium venues with!
[/quote]Don't get sucked in to this, I did with the LB30 and it just isn't loud and I can't imagine the 15 is any louder.

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1425544371' post='2708306']
Don't get sucked in to this, I did with the LB30 and it just isn't loud and I can't imagine the 15 is any louder.
[/quote]
That would depend what you pair it with, and how loud the band is! But I've used a CTM15 on a gig or two with a Barefaced super compact and it was PLENTY loud enough!

If the op needs volume then there's always a CTM100 or 300!

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1425566525' post='2708671']
No headphone out? That means it would be hard to justify using as a practice amp then, Thanks for the info.
[/quote] not a practice amp. it is to get pushed/overdriven tones at "reasonable" volumes for recording.

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1425574155' post='2708756']
not a practice amp. it is to get pushed/overdriven tones at "reasonable" volumes for recording.
[/quote]

this.

it doesnt have the bass end of the larger 100, but sounds very nice, my home practice rig is the ctm 15 with the 212, yes i know major overkill, but when i play live i use an 810 and the 100w.

you will not regret getting this head, and it does have a volume control.

the plus for me is with my big pedalboard full of fuzz and dirt pedals i need something kinda similar to the 100w to get the setting near before i head to a gig or practice to fine tune, and its gonna be heading into the studio with me very soon!

andy

I used to play one througfh a VS-112, your not going to get gigging volume from a 15w hybrid amp but it does sound nice. On the other hand i seem to be the only person on the planet who didnt like the CTM 100 and 300 i tried