Why become a member? ×

question re inlays

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1424288427' post='2694840']
Another shot of the flame inlays on my old bass in all its glory :)

These came from ccinlays.com (creative cuts inlays) and were actually a custom order as the design was available for guitar but not bass so I got them to scale it up for 24 fret /34" scale for me. Addis , the guy who runs the company, is really helpful and if you wanted a long thin length to use for neck binding I should think they could help you out. The also do white and black MOP too.

[/quote]

I'm going to email this chap. That sounds like the solution, thanks a mil! :-)

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1424341065' post='2695239']
How does applying these block inlays evenly and symmetrically work? is there any way they come prepared that makes it easier to not have them all a bit skewiffy ?
[/quote]

You get several markers attached to a single backing sheet pre laid out so you can lay the strip of stickers along the fingerboard in position, press down to stick and then peel off the backing leaving the markers in place.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1424798953' post='2700598']
My blocks arrived today, they look the part and really easy to apply but tricky to position properly. Buuuut......blocks really don't look as good without neck binding.
[/quote]

mine arrived, I dont know how the hell i will get them on straight.

It's difficult. I just took my time and guessed, with the result that a couple of them are a tiny bit off but it's not glaringly obvious. Unfortunately if you're a total perfectionist, that ain't gonna cut it. But like I say, it doesn't look great without neck binding, and I can buy binding cheap but there is no way in Hull I can fit that myself. I may ask a shop how much they would take, but I imagine it'd be silly money.

Let us know how you get on attaching your new inlays mate.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1424805158' post='2700678']
It's difficult. I just took my time and guessed, with the result that a couple of them are a tiny bit off but it's not glaringly obvious. Unfortunately if you're a total perfectionist, that ain't gonna cut it. But like I say, it doesn't look great without neck binding, and I can buy binding cheap but there is no way in Hull I can fit that myself. I may ask a shop how much they would take, but I imagine it'd be silly money.

Let us know how you get on attaching your new inlays mate.
[/quote]

I stuck mine on, eyeballed it and got them all on straight as far as I can tell. One up on the 15th is closer to one fret than the other but perfectly parallel. It's on my sandberg, which I think quite often come with blocks without binding so it looks pretty sick. I've ordered blocks for my jazz as well, which might be a different story..

Edited by Mattmit

Ive got/had the japanese supplier (jockomo or something) on the 6 or 7 bass's I've owned....my tip is to leave the E and G string on to help align the blocks.
This supplier also does bespoke 12 fret markers, names, initials etc. Last set ordered Monday arrived Thursday!
Ive used US creative cuts toon very, good but the jap' ones seem even better.

I had a go at this myself today, with Jockomo aged pearl. Keeping the E and G strings tight helped the whole business be less sloppy than it could have been. I loosened all four strings higher up the neck past the octave.

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2uggqia.jpg[/IMG]