Why become a member? ×

Make sense to sell or trade?

badboy1984

I own a fender classic 60 jazz bass, a parts build P/J bass to my spec and a westone 1A fretless.

I use to own a Musicman bongo 4 HS which I sold during Christmas for cash and then been given the Westone fretless for nothing. I love that fretless and I playing that bass most of the time now.

When it comes to gig time, my go to bass is my parts build P/J bass because it was build to my spec like maple jazz neck on a p body, seymour duncans SB3 and JB3 and passive system like 2x volume and 2x tone.

Now the Fender Jazz sits in a lovely tweet case doing nothing apart from playing the role as backup bass. Make sense to trade it for a 5 or 6 string? or I will regret to sell the Fender?

The Fender classic 60 is my first real bass 10 years ago and was purchase in sound control Manchester with my first pay slip. I still kept it the same as it was.

Reasoning 1) A good Jazz Bass is a good Jazz Bass, so easily replaceable.

It's typical for players to return to a Jazz or P after a period of time, though of course not always.

Reasoning 2 ) If you're sentimental and ever return to a Jazz Bass after selling it.... :(

Basses are just wood, there are tons out there. But there is only one that perhaps means something to you - if you're that kind of guy.

From experience, I've moved on and sold my sentimental ones for required upgrades needed or wanted at the time. Sure, it'd be fun to have them back if I had the cash, but I don't lose any sleep over it. But, like Howie said, nowt wrong with keeping it to be sentimental.

Edited by Chiliwailer

When I find myself in this situation I usually sleep on it for about 3 months. If I still havent played the bass that Im thinking of getting rid of in this timeframe then I ask myself why? It might be a number of reasons. I Might of gone off the tone. It might be similar but inferior to one of my other basses etc. I then ask myself if I got rid of the bass, would I miss it, both emotionally or tonally. Then I look around for an awesome bass to enhance my arsenal. If I find one that wll add a different flavour then I trade it in or sell it.

I think is more like a GAS attack then anything lol. My P/J bass gives me less hassle in band situation. Plug and go with tone and volume full on and my tone is their. The jazz bass require abit of EQ/pickup blend tweak to get good tone.

When I sold 2 of my warwick, i miss that, then sold my musicman stingray and bongo and I miss that now. I think I will miss this jazz bass if I sell it for something else. I do fancy a 5 string musicman bass or a 6 string warwick corvette or Yamaha JM 6 string lol.