Why become a member? ×

Finally, NBD - Sterling Sub Ray 4

Funky Dunky

After much delay, deliberation, nearly sending it back and exchanging it for a Ray5, I have opted to keep it. I tweaked the truss and saddles and it plays nicely.

First impressions: The colour is what drew me to this. I had to have it. I mean HAD TO. I had tried the black one when they originally hit the shops, almost bought a honeyburst, and various other distractions got in the way. Then I saw the Trans Blue Satin and fell in love. This is a good bass, and when you consider I paid £250 for an active bass which apes the Stingray sound pretty well, it's....well it's madness. This should retail for £400 and I got it for £250 NEW from Thomann. New strings and .0000 steel wool down the neck and we have ourselves a beast.

The preamp is a bit hot, especially over the E. This issue has existed with these basses since day one. Sterling are fully aware of it, and yet still make them this way. I find that very odd. Anyway, some say to lower the pup and others say to fix the preamp. Others say to swap out the preamp. I will lower the pickup for now, and in the future I will probably upgrade either the preamp, the pickup or both - as I said on Tom's NBD, the Aguilar AG M4 and OBP-3 are what I would go for, but would cost almost as much as the bass did. Anyway, here she is: (sorry about the pics, they're all reversed for some reason)

Edited by Funky Dunky

I keep thinking of buying one of these, almost pulled the trigger on a US sourced mint green one last month. I loved my Stingray's sound, but didn't entirely love the neck and these have a jazz type neck from what I hear so this should suit me down to my toes?

But, that hot pre-amp/clipping issue I keep reading about has been putting me off, so I'll be following this thread with interest. I agree its bizarre that Sterling haven't addressed this? Maybe it isn't so much of a issue as some call it?

Stunning looking bass that, crushingly beautiful colour!

1) the nut width is 38mm and it is superb. Very quick.

2) the preamp clipping isn't that bad at all. It doesn't bother me, and I don't notice it on mine. I played a 5 last week though, and it was ridiculous. Try before you buy if possible.

3) I haven't really noticed the G string being particularly loud.

4) there is indeed a preamp fix. It's on one of the other threads in this 'ere forum I'm sure.

Edited by Funky Dunky

That looks fabulous! gorgeous colour but no maple neck so that's why I bought the black one.

I fitted the Stinger preamp yesterday and it's transformed the bass, in fact I've put my amp levels back and it's very articulate too, I'm glad I did it.

Iconic: after a right good test of the bass, I have to say that the preamp is quite hot when I dial in more bass. I hadn't explored that side of the preamp control much, but when I did tonight, I noticed that any more than about a third of the way and it distorts. This is unacceptable from Sterling. I will be upgrading to a Stinger post haste - this simply won't do.

I cannot BELIEVE Sterling are still putting Subs out like this.

The pre is hot but mine doesn't distort - as long as you pad the input or turn down the gain on your amp you'll be fine. I use an Orange Terror... are you sure the distortion is coming from the bass and not the next thing in the chain?

I tried the Stinger and it sounded dull to me, so put the original back in. I have a John East Stingray pre to try out next when I get time to mess about with it!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1423606898' post='2687066']
Erm....I have to ask is G string nice 'n loud?'?! ;)
[/quote]

fixed that!

...my Stingray was one that had a tame'ish G string, it's bit of thing among Stingray owners B) ....mine wasn't not too bad but noticeable after playing a Yamaha BB/RBX etc. Good to hear the Sub's nice and perky in that department.

....anyone know why/if/when the Mint green ones will appear in the UK?

linky for US market SUB's

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/sterling-by-music-man-s.u.b.-ray4-electric-bass-guitar/h82042000004000"]http://www.musicians...h82042000004000[/url]

Edited by iconic

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1423751995' post='2688621']
Is that a step-by-step guode to a preamp upgrade? Seems harder than I thought :-(
[/quote]

Nope, that's the 'Volume Mod' pictorial guide and it makes it seem more difficult than it actually is. The Stinger pre-amp replacement is a lot easier.