Why become a member? ×

DI Box Help

greyshark

Hi guys.
I am a complete noob about this things so don't get angry if I say anything stupid. So I was wondering what are the benefits of having a DI box? Especially when playing live. I don't own one because when we play live I run the signal from my bass into the amp and there's a DI XLR output from which I go to the PA board. Is this the same as a DI Box or what? Again I'm completely lost and don't even know what I am talking about exactly so I would really appreciate any help.
Cheers

Still waiting for the stupid bit ...

What you've said there is spot on, you're using your amp (partly) as a DI box. If that's working for you then you're sorted.

Having a separate DI box can be used in loads of ways and with loads of applications, but that doesn't mean you need to dash out and buy one.

without getting into lots of technical details

all a DI box does is take and unbalanced signal (the electrical signal from your bass) and make it into a balanced one (which is less susceptible to electrical interference over long distances)

as your bass amp has a DI out already it is doing this internally.

in short no you don't need a DI box if you're happy with the sound your amp is producing. You'll see them occasionally at multi band gigs because that way the sound engineer is using the sound of the individual players bass and not the sound of the amp.

Edited by Chrismanbass

Our bass amp is an old Hiwatt valve amp, with no DI (too ancient...). For us, a DI box is useful. Some folks go on stage with no amp at all, and use only the DI box (or equivalent built into their pre-amp...), and rely on the venue foldback to hear the bass. As explained above, the benefit is having something to convert a bass signal (suitable for going into a bass amp or pedals...) into a low-impedance signal suitable for going into a PA console. As you already have this in your amp, you need worry no more about it.
Hope this helps.

I have my DI/Pre-amp pedal with me at gigs so that if my amp develops any faults, I can do a hurried swap and still get my sound to the desk, as the DI/Pre-amp pedal is the same as my amp, Aguilar Tonehammer. Or if using provided rigs, I just set them flat and get my sound from the DI and get the DI from the pedal rather than the provided amp.

yes they can be useful if your amp dies halfway through a gig, rather than carting a spare amp about, you simply connect the DI box to the desk and get to the end of the gig. Some like mine also can be used as a valve pre amp, to give you some warmth if your main bass amp is solid state and also if you play a bigger venue with front of house PA and decent stage monitoring and you don't want to lug your amp and cab to the venue, you can just use the DI box, great if your one band amongst many and you only have a short slot!

Someone tripped over the mains cable into which the bass amp i was using on friday was plugged.
The D.I feed was coming directly from the amp as the FOH engineer couldn't find one that worked in time, so I lost the amp and the PA lost the DI out.
And it stayed out until the berk who fell over it, plugged it back in. it wasn't my amp and I had no idea where the mains cable was routed.
This was about 2 verses and a chorus.
If I had used a DI box BEFORE the amp,like I always do when engineering a band rather than playing bass, there would have been bass in the PA, and in my in ears, despite the amp going down.
So yes, a DI is an essential, inexpensive portable bit of kit that you need.