Why become a member? ×

They don't build 'em like this anymore...thankfully

TheGreek

Look at the pics carefully, kids - this is exactly the kind of unplayable crap that would have been available to you in the 1970s if you couldn't afford a Fender or a Gibson! There were no decent affordable basses [i]at all[/i]. I don't know - you tell the young people of today and they won't believe you. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423162594' post='2681682']
Look at the pics carefully, kids - this is exactly the kind of unplayable crap that would have been available to you in the 1970s if you couldn't afford a Fender or a Gibson! There were no decent affordable basses [i]at all[/i]. I don't know - you tell the young people of today and they won't believe you. ;)
[/quote]

Actually that's not quite true IME. There were decent basses available provided you bought second hand and didn't want something that looked like a Fender, Gibson or Rickenbacker. I got my Burns in 1981 for £60 including the original hard case. A few years earlier I could have bought either a Microfrets or Hayman bass for about £80.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1423177820' post='2682011']
Actually that's not quite true IME. There were decent basses available provided you bought second hand and didn't want something that looked like a Fender, Gibson or Rickenbacker. I got my Burns in 1981 for £60 including the original hard case. A few years earlier I could have bought either a Microfrets or Hayman bass for about £80.
[/quote]

Quite true, but even £60 or £80 was a lot of money for the average teenager in 1981.
Though I was lucky enough to acquire a new USA Precision in 1976, for what was about a month and a half's wages at the time.