Why become a member? ×

NBD - Musicman SUB USA bassn

Mudpup

Just grabbed this little monster a few days ago.

Been fighting off Stingray gas for a few weeks and popped into a nearby music store to try one out. This was hanging up so I thought I would give it a go.......blimey, I couldn't tell the difference from a full on new Stingray Classic with my ears and the Sterling Ray34 didnt even come close soundwise. The 3 band Stingray didn't float my boat as much as the 2 band SUB.

Couple of little dings but in overall great condition. Got a black scratchplate incoming to get rid of the alloy thing. The finish is growing on me in a no nonsense ok to whack a p***head in a pub with it kind of way.

Its a really early one from May 2003 which apparently has the original Ray 2 band preamp and pickups in it.

[url="http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/mudpup1/media/Guitars/Musicman%20Sub%20bass/temporary-46.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/mudpup1/media/Guitars/Musicman%20Sub%20bass/temporary-47.jpg.html"][/url]
jpg
[url="http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/mudpup1/media/Guitars/Musicman%20Sub%20bass/temporary-50.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by MB1

hiho,here,s an early SUB with a black carbon fibre scratcher and a d-tuner,had it from new in 2003 and it is as good as the real thing ?.I tried my one against a classic ray which was £2700 and I couldn,t hear or feel much or any difference.
The good thing is the finish is gig proof which is a few steps up from nuclear blast proof.
Perfect basses for gigging recording and playing if your after the Ray sound and want to save some cash for more GAS attacks.
Don,t think for a minute that these are inferior to the real deal,they are the real deal in overalls not a fancy suit.[attachment=182885:DSCN4683.JPG]

Haha, I picked up the 5-string one that was on sale here and it arrived last week. Great bass, no nonsense, but so high output that I had to re-EQ everything on my rig!

I'm not a slap player, but my band's drummer is.. and holy cow. With the 2-band cranked all the way up it's insane.

The only thing that I'm not convinced about is the glossy neck. I also need to do something with the scratchplate as it is a little cheesy! The matte grey, though, I like and have previously owned a guitar with a similar (but smooth) finish.

Edited by hairychris

iv had one of these as my main bass for 7 years, its a beast and i love it! still looks in great shape after countless gigs, it takes one hell of a bash to damage that finish! (i also got rid of the cheesy metal plate scratch and went for a clear one, looks sweeeeet)

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1423057057' post='2680078']
Haha, I picked up the 5-string one that was on sale here and it arrived last week. Great bass, no nonsense, but so high output that I had to re-EQ everything on my rig!

I'm not a slap player, but my band's drummer is.. and holy cow. With the 2-band cranked all the way up it's insane.

The only thing that I'm not convinced about is the glossy neck. I also need to do something with the scratchplate as it is a little cheesy! The matte grey, though, I like and have previously owned a guitar with a similar (but smooth) finish.
[/quote]

Yep, not sure about the painted neck yet. Will get some sweaty gigs under my belt and then decide what to do. Might stick a brillo pad in the shopping next week just in case! And the scratchy issue is now addressed it seems.

Ta Da!
Now with nicer scratchie and black screws - much better!

[URL=http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/mudpup1/media/Guitars/Musicman%20Sub%20bass/IMG_20150204_203800.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/Musicman%20Sub%20bass/IMG_20150204_203800.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/mudpup1/media/Guitars/Musicman%20Sub%20bass/IMG_20150204_203837.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/Musicman%20Sub%20bass/IMG_20150204_203837.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1423067453' post='2680289']
Yep, not sure about the painted neck yet. Will get some sweaty gigs under my belt and then decide what to do. Might stick a brillo pad in the shopping next week just in case! And the scratchy issue is now addressed it seems.
[/quote]

Like yours, I have an early one ( 2003)

Couldn't get on with the paint on mine so took it back to the wood and sealed it with Danish oil. Quite a nice piece of timber in fact despite them supposedly having cheaper cuts of wood to keep the cost down.

It now feels great (to me anyway) I also took the opportunity to whip about .5mm (that's point five) off the back of the neck. It's now the perfect profile for me, sounds and plays great and if it does get stolen or broken, it's not cost me €2,000

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1423085660' post='2680648']

Like yours, I have an early one ( 2003)

Couldn't get on with the paint on mine so took it back to the wood and sealed it with Danish oil. Quite a nice piece of timber in fact despite them supposedly having cheaper cuts of wood to keep the cost down.

It now feels great (to me anyway) I also took the opportunity to whip about .5mm (that's point five) off the back of the neck. It's now the perfect profile for me, sounds and plays great and if it does get stolen or broken, it's not cost me €2,000
[/quote]

Did you strip the neck yourself or get it done professionally?

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1423086087' post='2680663']
Did you strip the neck yourself or get it done professionally?
[/quote]

I did it myself. I removed the neck of course, and then masked off the "V" shape at the heel (neck to body joint) end. I also then masked off the back of the head-stock, in line with the fret board nut. This way, you keep the serial info intact and have the option to repaint if you want to sell. Ignore the white area in this pic, it's my iPhone flash, not a mark on the wood.

Took the paint off with 100 grade sand-paper, (about an hour including the reshaping) then moved down to 200 grade, then finished off with 000 grade wire wool. The finish is like glass. Then gave it 2 coats of Danish oil, leaving about 2 hours at room temp between each coat. Finally, a 3rd coat 24 hours later.

It just feels like natural wood with no discernable coating, but it is there and it will protect it.

These are great basses and one of the best bargains around.

I have a 2003 one too, white with red scratchguard, slightly "roadworn" by a previous owner - I'd say more by wire wool than honest gigging wear. Despite the fact that I don't always like the roadworn look, I quite like it on my SUB.

I'm also thinking about stripping the neck although the paint finish isn't too bad to the touch.

The only slight downside is the weight, about 9.5lbs, not hugely heavy, but if I ever sell it, the weight would be the[i] only[/i] reason.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Frank.