Why become a member? ×

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall

fusionbassist1

Mornin'

Yesterday I decided to play through the Michael Jackson album 'Off The Wall' and remembered just how good of an album it really is. Louis Johnson is absolutely astounding on it and the various people who arranged and composed the songs (MJ is credited with 3 of 10, Rod Temperton has quite a few and there's also a stevie wonder track as well as a mccartney composition) really knew what they were doing to pump out some funky, cheesy,disco, 'of it's time' wonderness.

a good 9/10 for playalong ability.

anyone else share an opinion on this album?

there's some cool bass sounds on the album i think, he doesn't quite just stick to one signature tone on the album.

any comments?

____
Ben

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='260767' date='Aug 12 2008, 12:32 PM']Mornin'

Yesterday I decided to play through the Michael Jackson album 'Off The Wall' and remembered just how good of an album it really is. Louis Johnson is absolutely astounding on it and the various people who arranged and composed the songs (MJ is credited with 3 of 10, Rod Temperton has quite a few and there's also a stevie wonder track as well as a mccartney composition) really knew what they were doing to pump out some funky, cheesy,disco, 'of it's time' wonderness.

a good 9/10 for playalong ability.

anyone else share an opinion on this album?

there's some cool bass sounds on the album i think, he doesn't quite just stick to one signature tone on the album.

any comments?

____
Ben[/quote]

I think its Michael Jackson's best album by far, I wasn't that big on Thriller myself. Rod Temperton is a one man hit factory and come a long way since growing up in Cleethorpes. I had a primary school teacher whose husband was in a band with Rod once.

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='260887' date='Aug 12 2008, 03:08 PM']+1, great album for bassers!

LJ's bass work is always great and Dance With Me is a great slappy line but IMHO the best bassline on the album is Bobby Watson's masterpiece on Rock With You. Sheer class![/quote]

+1, Dance with Me is alright, to me it sounds a bit messy and his tone is a bit much, where as the groove of Rock with You is just perfect. Even though MJ's later stuff wasn't exactly groove laden, they are still great to play along to, songs like Human Nature, Who Is It? etc....

What surprised me a lot is the additional demo on one of the cd-releases...
You hear early tapes of some songs without the production of Quincy Jones and they are really close to the original...I thought that Quincy's influence would be massive but those early demo's just show that Michael Jackson had already a lot of the production and arranging in an early stage..Great album though.

One of the best soul funk albums ever made...IMHO..Stevie Wonders ''I cant help it'' is special..

Check Lois Johnson out slapping on Dance with Me!!! ...Awsome..

And look at that Jazz bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwCzTo20d18&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwCzTo20d18...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='261032' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:23 PM']....Billy Jean is a fabulous groove that sounds easy but is a bitch to get the feel right....[/quote]

Oooooh, I just played Billy Jean, & damn doesn't it sound good! What a groove! I'll be doing that one again!

:)