Why become a member? ×

Aguilar 12"

coasterbass

GS came first. Been around for a fair few years and has won 1x12 shootouts galore. Some say it's a little mid-shy, but I don't hear that in mine. I'll be buying a second one one of these days. They are quite big (deep) for a 1x12.

The DB is slightly larger and constructed from different wood, apparently adding more mids to the sound. Same actual driver as the GS. A different cab finish (vinyl rather than carpet). Better looking cab - very retro. Similar weight.

If I hadn't already got a GS I'd go for a DB, but since I got a GS second hand then I'll stick with them.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='260635' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:52 AM']GS came first. Been around for a fair few years and has won 1x12 shootouts galore. Some say it's a little mid-shy, but I don't hear that in mine. I'll be buying a second one one of these days. They are quite big (deep) for a 1x12.

The DB is slightly larger and constructed from different wood, apparently adding more mids to the sound. Same actual driver as the GS. A different cab finish (vinyl rather than carpet). Better looking cab - very retro. Similar weight.

If I hadn't already got a GS I'd go for a DB, but since I got a GS second hand then I'll stick with them.[/quote]

Spot on.
The DB's where brought out in reaction to criticisms of the GS's apparent mid-scoop.
I've not really noticed it either to be honest,however my bass is pretty mid-focussed anyway, plus I wee nudge of low mid on the eq of the amp would sort it out.

The DB's do look a lot cooler though, they are actually slightly heavier, but still a one hand lift, oh and they're slightly pricier but still offer great bang for buck.
For the record, I'd have gone with the DB cab too at the time if I'd thought about it, mainly because they look cooler, but I'm more than happy with the GS anyway.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Bigwan' post='260692' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:17 AM']Have to say that a pair of DB112s in black and silver with a chrome ashdown ABM head would look altogether sexual![/quote]

He he :)
Alarmingly, I think I know what you mean...

Eude

[quote name='coasterbass' post='260715' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:44 AM']Eude - your band, 10 Storey's High... how long has that been going? I think I might have one of your CD's.[/quote]

Hey man,
it's been going a few years, I've been with them since January 2007, which is when we started pushing properly.
What CD is it?
Officially there's been a proper single called Good Things and the album just recently, called The Thrill of the Fall.
There's probably a fair few home made and white labels flying around too though...

Eude

I've got three DB112's (in green!) and they sound great. Never compared with the GS range though. I just liked the retro look. Because they don't use Neo drivers they are heavier than other makes, but I think that is why they sound so good. Never got on with Neo stuff.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='260630' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:43 AM']....Can someone please explain to me what the difference between the DB112 and the GS112 is?....[/quote]
The DB112 is 1" deeper, 3lbs heavier and is supposed to have a better tone, although the GS112 sounds very, very good. They are way cheaper than the competition, but I heard that the GS range was being discontinued.
I had 2 GS112's and they sounded great but I sold them because at 42lbs they are nearly 50% heavier than the Epifani/Bergantino 1x12's. If I was 20 years younger that might not be a problem but the 1 handle and the weight started to irritate me! Aguilar has a great tone and reputation and if they deign bring out a neo 112 I will be A/B'ing it on day 1!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='260692' date='Aug 12 2008, 06:17 AM']Have to say that a pair of DB112s in black and silver with a chrome ashdown ABM head would look altogether sexual![/quote]

I am strongly thinking of getting a 4ohm DB212 to go with with my chrome faced Ashdown ABM RC :)
Anyone know if the Aguilar logo plate can be easily removed from the the front grill? That would be a pretty clean and sexy look!

I have been debating a standalone cab for this head for awhile. Right now I got an Ampeg 112 and 115 but they really are not ideal for me with this head. My other consideration is one of the Ashdown Classic NEO 414T 4ohm cabs. I can get one at a good price but am scared off having to move it, the most I have to go is one flight of stairs at my rehearsal space but not sure I could manage it by myself.

I have a GS112 and I love it for low volume rehearsals and writing sessions. The mid scoop accentuated the bottom end which can be a good thing at those lower volumes. Never cranked mine right up.. so.. well.. to be honest it probably isn't even broken in yet!

Such a light cab! Awesome!

I believe the GS112's more scooped sound is due to a slightly higher tuning giving a mid-bass hump and the effect of a less rigid cabinet (harder to quantify but presumably the wall resonances are absorbing some of the speaker's midrange energy). One of the pioneering lightweight 1x12" bass cabs though it's nowhere near as light as recent neo offerings.

Alex

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='261150' date='Aug 12 2008, 03:43 PM']Why lug around a 212 when two 112's will sound just as good![/quote]

consider you own three of them i would say you probably have some personal experience but i did read somewhere else the db 212 sounds better and bigger then 2 112s. also, that aguilar originally designed the db212 to sound like two db112's but after player feedback changed the design some.

my first thought was though, i already have an ampeg 115 and 112he (8ohms each) and wanted a 4ohm do everything standalone cab.

what i have discovered is the the 115 is actually easier to move and what i take to smaller gigs because it has casters and is tall enough i can roll everything easily with my ashdown rc in case on top. rolling around 2 stacked cabs with a head on top and navigating curbs and such is not so easy!

ps i can get the Ashdown NEO 414 for the same price as the aguilar db212 so i am tempted to buy it still. part of the reason being i do not own any cabs with 10in speakers but the aguilar really does seem perfect for my needs.