Why become a member? ×

Band Practice cancelled again...............

lateralus462

My band keep cancelling practices for what seem to be fairly weak reasons. (Like 6 out of 8 have been cancelled).

I don't have any problem with the band as such, the music is awesome (IMO), and I get on well with them (ie none of them piss me off too much), but to be honest I am getting a bit pissed with paying for rehearsals that don't happen (we get charged 50 quid a month each regardless of whether we use the space or not).

To top things off I had to cancel a gig I'd organised last week as some of the band didn't feel ready to gig the material we've got (maybe if you stopped cancelling rehearsals you'd feel a bit more confident in your ability to play the material!!!) which made me look like a complete w**nker, as the decision to cancel was made only a few days before the gig.

I really don't know what to do - on one hand I like playing with the band, but on the other I kinda feel like saying bollox to it, going down to the studio and picking up my gear.

What do you guys reckon?

[quote name='lateralus462' post='260148' date='Aug 11 2008, 05:11 PM']Problem is if I did try to get them all to sit down together for a chat you can guarantee one of the miserable b**stards would cancel!![/quote]

Set a quorum. Don't cancel a rehearsal / gig / whatever unless 2 or more people are unable to make it. I know that a rehearsal with n-1 people isn't as effective as a rehearsal when everyone is there, but at least it keeps the wheels turning. I'm in a 5-piece and we generally go ahead with a session even if only 3 people can make it (sometimes even only two).

S.P.

Edited by stylonpilson

Organise a weekly (or twice-weekly) practice session which suits all band members. That way, it will become part of everyone's routine, and no excuses will be accepted!

To be honest though - if you feel that your fellow band members are cancelling due to a lack of commitment, there will be frustrating times ahead unless you have a serious conversation regarding the band's future. There are too many great bassists in this world stagnating in under-committed bands.

I had exactly the same problem. In April I formed a band with a couple of friends, with the view to gig original material.
The guitarist, who had a massive lack of confidence, due mainly to the fact that he had never gigged, said that he wasn't comfortable with us and would like to stay as a hobby player. I tried for weeks to reassure him that he was easily good enough to gig and if he made any mistakes while playing, then so what? we're only human and next gig will be better but he quit.

Then the drummer found a guy who was great, brilliant tone and feel, just what the music needed. His ideas were great and together the songs took an even better turn. We rehearsed for a couple of months and were offered a gig at a local band night but he was travelling up and down the country with his job and moving house and then he ignored any attempts we made at getting in touch, so, disheartened, the drummer has put it on the back burner until I find a guitarist.
Then we need to find a singer. :)

You need to find out what the others aims are and most importantly, you all need to be honest and respectful with each other.
This can be achieved through the medium of a couple of beers.
Good luck.

[quote name='acidbass' post='260163' date='Aug 11 2008, 05:29 PM']Organise a weekly (or twice-weekly) practice session which suits all band members. That way, it will become part of everyone's routine, and no excuses will be accepted!

To be honest though - if you feel that your fellow band members are cancelling due to a lack of commitment, there will be frustrating times ahead unless you have a serious conversation regarding the band's future. There are too many great bassists in this world stagnating in under-committed bands.[/quote]

We already have bi-weekly practices set up around everyones schedule, so to be honest I think it's a combination of lack of commiment and apathy. It seems like they like the idea of being in the band , but it's all a little bit too much effort.

It's a shame though, cos when everyone is on form it does sound f**cking amazing.

Edited by lateralus462

Had the same problem myself in the past. We had a "band meeting" (few beers) and exited those who were unreliable and replaced them. Whilst the new guitarist is not as good, he turns up every week, is enthusiatic and learns the songs before rehearsal. So maybe we don't sound as good as we used to, but at least we are now gigging regularly again!

[quote name='Alastair' post='260390' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:01 PM']Never understood the lack of commitment thing. Id be raring to go for a band practice practically anytime! Too much fun to miss :)[/quote]

I think that's half of the problem, they seemed to be treating it like a chore and din't seem to be enjoying themselves. It was almost like they were relieved every time rehearsal was cancelled cos they didn't have to go. I'd rather go somewhere I can have a laugh and actually get something done.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='260413' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:28 PM']....I decided to leave - we were meant to have a practice tonight even though the singer's ill (apparently), but the drummer didn't turn up. No message or anything. So that's it, I've quit and am going to start looking for something else....[/quote]
Sorry to hear the news, but this really is the right decision. The rest of the band sound like a bunch of rank amateurs. Good luck in your search for better things.

[quote name='chris_b' post='260667' date='Aug 12 2008, 10:42 AM']Sorry to hear the news, but this really is the right decision. The rest of the band sound like a bunch of rank amateurs. Good luck in your search for better things.[/quote]

Thanks Dude - they are talented amateurs though, it's a shame cos if they actually got off their butts and put a bit of effort in, I think it would actually be something pretty special.

Can't see that happening though, hence the fact I've taken my services elsewhere.